Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a non starting 750.
Start button does nothing.
Dash lights come on.
new battery fitted.
New starter coil relay fitted.
Have power coming from kill switch, start button, at all fuses under seat, at coil packs(1 wire only per coil of the 4 per coil), at four out of the five tabs under new starter relay, side stand switch.
What else am I checking tomorrow? What’s the fifth wire on coil relay under seat?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the starter solenoid click when you try to start?
Have you tried bridging the main power cables at the solenoid to see if the starter even turns over?
No click. And gave it a rap even.
Was thinking of running jumper leads from battery to starter. Didn’t know I could bridge the coils. Tips of coils are warm to touch when ignition is on. What cables am I bridging? Power to the one the heads down to starter? What one in that one?

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you bridge the main cables at the solenoid you bypass the solenoid as it's only purpose is to make the connection between the cables when you hit the starter button.
If the solenoid isn't clicking unplug the small wires, get a separate battery and hook the battery up to the small wires to the solenoid, this will test if the solenoid works.

Before doing any of this make sure the kill switch is in the "on" position and check that your neutral light is on while in neutral.
A very common problem is the side stand switch failing which will prevent the starter engaging, you can check this by unplugging the switch and bridging the wires at the main harness.
Sometimes just putting the stand up will allow it to start.

I'm not certain of the Safety switches on your bike, does it have a switch at the clutch lever?
If so try starting in neutral with the stand up and holding the clutch in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you bridge the main cables at the solenoid you bypass the solenoid as it's only purpose is to make the connection between the cables when you hit the starter button. If the solenoid isn't clicking unplug the small wires, get a separate battery and hook the battery up to the small wires to the solenoid, this will test if the solenoid works. Before doing any of this make sure the kill switch is in the "on" position and check that your neutral light is on while in neutral. A very common problem is the side stand switch failing which will prevent the starter engaging, you can check this by unplugging the switch and bridging the wires at the main harness. Sometimes just putting the stand up will allow it to start. I'm not certain of the Safety switches on your bike, does it have a switch at the clutch lever? If so try starting in neutral with the stand up and holding the clutch in.
Sorry, precoffee brain fart, I thought you meant bridging at the coils. I got a new starter relay. It has power at 4 of the wires. When side stand down theres slight power, when up none, and I did disconnect stand and loop a wire and still no start, so ruled out stand, but will revisit. Will check clutch lever. But have held it in always. Please reread my post, I think your knowledge will help me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you say relay are you talking about a black plastic box or are you referring to the solenoid?
View attachment 229601
Your solenoid might be in a different place to this.
All good I’ve got it turning over now. Just not fueling yet. But I changed fuel filter so may just need priming/filling lines. Ran on aero start for a few seconds.
see photo for the arse wipe that was my ignition issue. Was upside down or bad connection. Came off easy, I closed up female connectors a bit and refitted but it seemed upside down the way wires were bent, so may have been that too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So you've replaced a lot of stuff... but have you serviced the carbs? If **** is worn out in the carbs it can lead to all kinds of "fun". There are parts that wear and their wear can impact fueling, and how well the fuel is atomized.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So you've replaced a lot of stuff... but have you serviced the carbs? If **** is worn out in the carbs it can lead to all kinds of "fun". There are parts that wear and their wear can impact fueling, and how well the fuel is atomized.
Just loads of carbs cleaner through take. Ran on that then nothing. Checking fuel tumplines and stuff now as pretty sure fuel starving issue now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So I had a 2000 M600 with carbs. If this was a non-running bike, I would have basically ASSUMED you'd have to include rebuilding the carbs as part of the process.
The biggest factor I had was getting a full set of rubber, getting 'about the right' sized jets, and making sure the float bowls were truly set at the right height.
You may want to assume with a non running bike that you are cleaning the gas tank and replacing the fuel filter before you even try to run the bike for real, and do that BEFORE you rebuild carbs, since the tank could be pretty gunky.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I had a 2000 M600 with carbs. If this was a non-running bike, I would have basically ASSUMED you'd have to include rebuilding the carbs as part of the process.
The biggest factor I had was getting a full set of rubber, getting 'about the right' sized jets, and making sure the float bowls were truly set at the right height.
You may want to assume with a non running bike that you are cleaning the gas tank and replacing the fuel filter before you even try to run the bike for real, and do that BEFORE you rebuild carbs, since the tank could be pretty gunky.
Can’t do everything assumed but. I’ve got it turning over at least and running on aero start, so got it to fuel starving issue now. Have changed spark plugs, air, oil and fuel filters and drained tank best I could but not cleaned it. Been away a few days. It will have another crack when home. Oh and tan carby cleaner through from intake a few times and drained carby float bowls a few times. Short on time so trying quick fixes. I’m thinking that I have hose leaking air in for fuel put no ir something as it won’t even run ****.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can’t do everything assumed but. I’ve got it turning over at least and running on aero start, so got it to fuel starving issue now. Have changed spark plugs, air, oil and fuel filters and drained tank best I could but not cleaned it. Been away a few days. It will have another crack when home. Oh and tan carby cleaner through from intake a few times and drained carby float bowls a few times. Short on time so trying quick fixes. I’m thinking that I have hose leaking air in for fuel put no ir something as it won’t even run ****. Will get to full carby overhall if I have to.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Spark? Check.
Air?
Fuel?
Compression?
If none running, you may want to test the compression before too much more effort. Might indicate valve clearance or ring issues. I don't have much experience, but I have resurrected at least one bike from the graveyard of someone's garage, and the valves were so far out of spec it couldn't muster any compression. Once I fixed that, I gummed up the freshly rebuilt carb by running gas from the old tank... so I am literally only sharing ideas that I personally ****ed up mysef. 🤣

1 - 20 of 21 Posts