Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a 2000 900i.e that has a weird, intermittent starting problem. It only happened a couple of times the past few months, but it's getting worse.
The bike has a Power Commander on it, but i took the PC off the ECU and tried to start w/o it. No good.
The bike will pop-start (rolling in 2nd gear) and occasionally start up normally when i shut it again.
The last test was that I let it sit for over 1/2 hour and came back and it started up fine. Tried again 15 min later and ... nothing.
It seems like either an ECU problem or maybe a bad ground somewhere.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
winderOUT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does not turn over.
With key on you can hear the fuel pump, hit start button and nothing happens. Turn kill switch on&off, fuel pump runs again, start button=nothing.
I took start button apart and cleaned contacts. Traced back through wiring diagram in service manual and everything is connected. Took all the jumper apart & sprayed contact cleaner and WD40 on some.

After it sits for a while i can turn key on and (with about 50/50 chance) hit the starter and it starts & runs normal.
Ride it around and it is fine. shut it off & try to restart: nothing.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Check the small white plug on the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Or the harness that runs by the steering head. There have been instances where a wire or wires break in the main harness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update:
I checked the solenoid plug and the wire harness the runs down from the switch housing, behind the headlight and back to the main harness. All looks good on them. No cracks or loose fittings.
I did that after i turned the key on and hit the button... fired right up, just like normal. Ran it a few minutes & shut it off. Turned the key back on and nothing!
I can only figure it is something in the chip or other electronic circuits.
Any other suggestions? Also, how can I test the ECU?

·
Banned
897 Posts
A bad wire in the harness could be impossible to see, try holding the start button in and work the harness around.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Ddan said:
A bad wire in the harness could be impossible to see, try holding the start button in and work the harness around.
The white plug on the solenoid can also look like it's well connected, but vibration from running will loosen it enough to prevent contact. Try wiggling it while pushing the starter button.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ducpainter said:
The white plug on the solenoid can also look like it's well connected, but vibration from running will loosen it enough to prevent contact. Try wiggling it while pushing the starter button.
Found it and the white female connector on the solenoid was the problem. Soon as I jiggled it the bike started. Took it apart and cleaned and crimped the connectors, and voila!!!
Thank you!
winderOUT

·
Registered
760 Posts
ducpainter said:
Make sure you put a ziptie on that plug so it doesn't come loose again... it's cheap insurance.

Glad you got it sorted out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts