Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will i need a new chain if I get a larger rear cog? (2 teeth bigger)

Does anyone know how many teeth a 2002 750 rear cog has?

M

·
0 Posts
how do the two extra teeth feel?

I've got a 2k2 750D also.. considering if its worth changing.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
i only went 1 tooth on mine so i wouldn't lose top speed. if i had a 900 i would have gone 2. clutch is a little easier at low speeds and 5th gear is more useful. rpm difference is about 250/tooth.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
For every four teeth that you add on the rear, the rear axle will move forward the distance of one link in the chain. If you're adding two teeth, it's half a link distance. If you have that much adjustment room, you don't need a new chain.

However, if your chain has more than about 5000 miles, you're probably better off with two new sprockets and a new chain.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
However, if your chain has more than about 5000 miles, you're probably better off with two new sprockets and a new chain.

Do chains and sprockets really only last 5k miles?

Kevin

·
Registered
45,105 Posts

Kevin
a wear pattern has been established between the chain and sprockets. at that mileage, changing only one component will accellerate wear, so replacing the chain with the sprockets is the way to go. chain breakage can be dangerous to your well-being.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Chains and sprockets should easily last twice that long. However, as already noted, you'll wear out new parts sooner using them with old parts.

If you don't mind throwing away the new sprocket when the chain finally wears out, then go ahead and just switch sprockets.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
a wear pattern has been established between the chain and sprockets.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What's the best gearing change I can make to my new M1000? 2 extra on the back? What is the result? I commute every weekday to work through thye city (L.A.). Will this make it easier?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am also interested in what is the best sprocket change (and if I should change the front or the back sprocket, or both).
I don't mind losing top speed since the top speed of the M1000 is well over anything I would like to ride on any kind of bike. I don't want to overdo it though, in a way that it becomes very hard to keep the front wheel down.

Any thoughts?

DUCky

·
Registered
159 Posts
What's the best gearing change I can make to my new M1000? 2 extra on the back? What is the result? I commute every weekday to work through thye city (L.A.). Will this make it easier?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Upping teeth in the rear is like gaining torque, same with dropping teeth in the front. I'm sure the techs around here have a more technically appropriate term for this besides torque, but that's what it feels like. All this mod will do is make your bike feel more peppy under 60mph. I like my 14 tooth front and plan to bump my rear up two soon. My 2 pennies.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i was just about to ask this ques. myself. i have a 2002 750D
and have a 40 mi. commute in traffic. what gear change would you guys suggest to make the slow going through traffic a little easier? 1st seems to rev to high and 2nd seems to lug. i need a middle ground. as always any help is much apperciated. :)

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'm going up two teeth in a rear and i'll see what happens...

H

·
0 Posts
I went to a 41 rear on my m1000. Noticeable difference, but not drastic. I think going to a 14 front would probably have been a better choice for me, but I don't commute. Either way, 6th gear is more useable than stock.
BTW, it's quite a wheelie machine, isn't it!? ;D

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
i was just about to ask this ques. myself. i have a 2002 750D
and have a 40 mi. commute in traffic. what gear change would you guys suggest to make the slow going through traffic a little easier? 1st seems to rev to high and 2nd seems to lug. i need a middle ground. as always any help is much apperciated. :)
i only went i tooth on mine because i didn't want a loss of top speed. that is about 250 RPM reduction. two teeth is about 500. the difference around town is noticeable, but small. i'm happy with it, which doesn't mean you will be. if you want to experiment, front sprockets are cheaper and easier to change. a 14 tooth will equal about 2.5 in the back. hope this helps.

·
0 Posts
Yet to install my 44 tooth rear sprocket and new chain.
Was advised that chain and sprocket removal should be linked, optimum mechanical reasons.

R.

H

·
0 Posts
Yes, if you have a few thousand miles on a set of sprockets, and decide to change ratios, you should change sprockets and chain at the same time. There has been a wear pattern worn into the parts, and while it's not likely a part will fall, the wear rate will be increased because of the wear pattern.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Waiting for my 41 to arrive at the shop. I've got a little under 2k on the odo, but I think it will be OK without changing all 3 components.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts