Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah.. you guessed it. Hey, at least this time, I was in my Truck.

Sally and I were going to knock out a bunch of X-mas shopping today. We were leaving my neighborhood and going across Rt. 1 on Franklin. I was sitting at the red light. My light turned green, I slowly proceeded to pull out (I wasn't in a rush, Truck was still warming up). Slammed on my brakes just in time to plow into the right rear door of a VW Jetta that ran the light. Spun him round better than a John Woo film.

I pulled into the Exxon station on the corner. He pulled over to the side of the road. After making sure Sally and I were ok, I ran over and told him to drive his car around and come back to the station (took a pic of his plate before he left). Officer arrived, cited the other driver for running the light. I had 3 witnesses that confirm my story and I have all their contact info. Took my truck to the dealer. They took me to the rental agency and now I'm driving a 4 door Chevy Silverado 4x4. Nice truck. Found out something interesting. For an insurance rental, they have to give you a comparable vehicle to the one you drove. So, I got a truck for a truck. [thumbsup] Asked if I wanted something different. Nahh, I'll stick with the truck.

| | |
| | EXXON Station
______________| | :|________
- - - - - - - - - - - - - : - - - - - - - - <<
- - - - - - - - - - - - - : - - - - - - - - <<
______________ : _________ <<
- - - - - - - - - - - - - : /\ - - - - - - - >>
- - - - - - - - - [=} - - * - \ - - - - - - >>
______________ : __\______ >>
| |[]| \___
| |
| | |
/\ /\

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Man, bad luck for you this year. I doubt the drivers in the Middle East are much better if you end up going over there.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
I didn't click the link in ToSAT till now. You guys OK?

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
glad you are both ok. glad i havent let you drive anything of mine. [cheeky] And would like to know how you like the silverado. Might just be my next truck.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Zhit... They way I see it you are blessed. You have walked away from each of these incidents in good health. Look at it as a great xmas gift. Indirectly that is .........dc

·
Registered
307 Posts
Damn, dude.

If you walk the frame of your Honda CB around your hood long enough maybe you can get a little more insurance money. Sounds like someone's bound to hit ya.

Be safe(r)!

Glad the Pokes are ok.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
eettare said:
glad you are both ok. glad i havent let you drive anything of mine. [cheeky] And would like to know how you like the silverado. Might just be my next truck.
May I interject with my Silverado experience? Bacground: have owned a '92 S-10, '99 GMC Sierra 1500, '00 GMC Sierra 1500, and most recently a 1990 Silverado 454SS pickup, before buying a 2006 Silverado 1500 LT this spring. 11,xxx miles on it npw. 5.3 liter, auto, 2wd, standard cab, shortbed. Used for both commuting but mostly hauling motorcycles (in the bed). 295hp, rated at 16 mpg city, 20 hwy. I get about 18 around town lightfooting it. and 22-26 mpg highway, lightfooting it again. Heavy foot gets almost exactly the EPA rated mileage. No experience with 4wd at all; all my trucks have been 2wd. I've had zero as delivered defects on any of the trucks, and zero breakdowns or mechanical problems. One recall, for faulty tailgate support cables. Oh, and my '99 Sierra had a sticky latch on the center console cubbyhole lid. You had to give it a "pop" with the heel of your hand to get it to open.

My '00 Sierra saw 47,000 miles hauling a trailer containing 3 racebikes up and down the east coast at highly illegal speeds for two years; a 17-foot enclosed trailer with no trailer brakes. When my son - a professional Ford technician - did the brakes, he said they were in better shape than Ford F150s that he sees that have never towed anything. For what it's worth - not that I have anything against Fords (neither does he, he drives a pristine '97 Ford F250 big block!) but that was his casual observation.

Yeah, I'm happy with my Silverado; but I may end up trading it in on an '07 if I can get the right engine/body style/trim level combination. I bought mine off a NJ dealer on eBay; $29,773 MSRP with a "Buy It Now" price of $20k even. I couldn't resist!

Tim

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
glad you guys are okay!....I think you need to stop being vehicularly mobile in Alexandria...that's the problem...LOL.

BTW Old Ducker....I think most of the rental Silverado 4X4's that Enterprise keeps are the big 6 cylinder which seems to wheez a bit at going up good sized inclines...or so my drivers seem to exclaim when they have to succumb to a rental to keep on working.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Statler said:
Glad you're both OK. Name change explained on another thread?

Chris
Exactly, it's not like it's hard to tell the who the guy with a million posts is, but c'mon.

Besides, you'll always be ol' slowpoke to us.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Man you take a day off work and EVERYTHING changes. I'm glad Mr. and Mrs. Poke are okay and all, but I'm not sure I can switch to "sallyscoot" too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I am getting through. The rental's not a bad truck. I like having the 4 door. Wasn't even too difficult to get on base tonight.

I'm still waiting to see what the shop says about my truck. Should be interesting. Sometimes, I think it would have been easier to hit the gas in stead of the brake and really done my front end in. That would have put me in a new Jeep...

But, the truck's bout paid off and it's worth more than I owe. So, I'm ahead of the curve. I'd hate to start that all over again.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Hey man, glad you are both ok. As per this thread, I too am going to quit driving in Old Town. I am thinking about grabing my CB750 frame and going for a walk though to see what insurance monies I can find out there, you up for a walk/ride anytime soon?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts