Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject in general has been covered numerous times in different ways but I need some help here guys. I am getting into riding. Road some dirt bikes as a kid. Have heard all the advice about getting a used bike first. Should I decide to get a used one, which one? I have found two: an '02 SV 650 with 500 miles for $3500 or an '02 620 matte black with a dent in tank from falling over with 3k miles and for $3500. In the end, I want a Ducati but would it be better to get the SV 650 due to less maintenance/cost, etc? or get the 620 with the thinking I would at least know better how these bikes ride/perform/handle before moving up to a bigger one?

The other option is to get a new '06 620 in the color I want (Ducati Red) at a discounted price due to 2007 coming up. The other thing when sitting on the '06 620, it seemed lower and a little lighter than the '02. I wonder if it is my imagination or if anyone else has ever noticed the same. In general it felt better in my hands. Thanks for all the help in advance. Peace 8)

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
No reason not to take the duc if that's ultimately where you want to be. 3k vs 500 miles is virtually no difference. Any other damage to the duc apart from the tank dent? I'd say don't go for the '06 because you said you'd want to be moving up to a bigger bike and you'll be losing out financially buying a new bike only to sell it later. Only buy new if you think you're going to keep it for a long time. The '02 you can sell for almost the same you pay for it. It'll be a $3500 investment in your upgrade to an 803, 1K or 1078.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'd get whichever felt better for you. I owned that year SV and loved it. A Two Brothers slip on and she was ready to go.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
natsscout said:
In the end, I want a Ducati
There is your answer right there. Bikes are not necessities......they are wants. We don't need them....we want them. So you should get the bike you want if you are getting a bike. Go with the 620.

I've owned both bikes though....and from a pure enjoyment factor you'll have fun with either.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'll have to buck what is sure to be the majority opinion here and say go with the SV650 then get a Duc in about a year. That dent in the side of the monster would bug the piss out of me, and it is an expensive repair. You can have about a year of trouble free and cheap riding on the Suzuki. I have an SV that my GF rides and I use whenever my monster is broken (which is often). It has a great engine and chassie but the suspension poor quality. You may need to upgrade the fork springs on the Suzuki. For the price you have got on the Suzuki, you should be able to sell it for almost that much in a year. Like a year of free riding, only pay for gas and oil. Get the bike you want when you have a little more experience.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
natsscout said:
Thanks for the opinions guys. One thing though, when I sat on the SV it seemed heavy as hell compared to the 620 and yet it is listed as less weight. What's up with that?
Didn't really seem to notice much of a weight difference between the two when I had mine. Especially just sitting on them. From a ride standpoint I found the SV to be a little easier to flick. Not that the 620 wasn't flickable. So despite what you feel sitting on them. They both handle really well once movnig.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Is it an SV650S (fairing) or SV650 (non)? The perception of weight may change according to the handlebar/seat/rider geometry. I am guessing that this is an S (with clip-ons as opposed to the handlebar style on the Monster and non-S SV650) if it feels significantly heavier. Clip ons give you a bit less leverage on the bars, which might make it feel like a heavier bike.
Also, how long has that 650 been sitting in a garage? There will be some maintenance to do if it has been sitting idle for a year or more - oil change, tires (if they have a flat spot from sitting in one position for too long), chain tension. Also, I think there is a 600 mile maintenance on the SV, ask the current owner if it has been done. If you are close to a dealer, I would have it checked out throughly before plunking down money on it. I doubt it would run you too much, and it would be good peace of mind.
On the monster, I would do the same, but check to see if there is anything beyond cosmetic damage, like the frame being bent.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No faring. Naked bike. Both bikes are being sold by seperate dealers. One of the guys said in regards to the 650 that the weight is distributed higher and it will feel heavier because of it. I just noticed when I went to sit on it and lifted it to a riding position off the kickstand it felt like I was twisting an extra 50 lbs! Whereas the '06 620 felt like a dirtbike in comparison. Obviously it is not that light but in comparison yes. The '06 620 also felt better than the '02 620. Has anyone ridden both. I know the '06 has 6 gears now instead of 5 but I am not aware of any other changes that may have taken place.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ya, the SV will appear heavier because of it's weight distribution.

Honestly, get which ever one will make you happy. People say you will drop sooner or later...I think that's kind of bogus because with that thinking, 4 years from now if you get something nice...you will still end up dropping it. Just get which ever one will put a bigger smile on your face. Both are really nice bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
natsscout said:
No faring. Naked bike. Both bikes are being sold by seperate dealers. One of the guys said in regards to the 650 that the weight is distributed higher and it will feel heavier because of it. I just noticed when I went to sit on it and lifted it to a riding position off the kickstand it felt like I was twisting an extra 50 lbs! Whereas the '06 620 felt like a dirtbike in comparison. Obviously it is not that light but in comparison yes. The '06 620 also felt better than the '02 620. Has anyone ridden both. I know the '06 has 6 gears now instead of 5 but I am not aware of any other changes that may have taken place.
I believe the brakes on the 02 are better, 320 mm as opposed to 300. It should be dual disks, no?

I'd weigh in with a different opinion, I think you should get something smaller than either of those two bikes, for at least six months. A nice dual sport in the 250 to 400 cc range would give you the opportunity to play around in the dirt again, yet still take it on road, and it will be way more forgiving of newbie mistakes than either of the bikes you mention.

David B.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have put a few hundred miles on an 02 SVS - great bike, but the suspension needs to be upgraded. The front on the one I rode was just mush. My overall impression of them is that they have a great engine, but there are parts that need to be upgraded before you maximize the potential of the bike. If you like to tinker, this might be the better bike for you.
For a newbie, it is conditionally a good first bike - if you can exercise some self-restraint, and ride within your limits you have something that you can grow into, and probably keep well after your skills have developed. Same with the monster, although the consensus seems to be that the SV would probably be a better track/track day platform than the monster (if you are interested in that.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts