Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Well after a lot of back and forth over the past year with my bike never sure if it wants to turn over in the morning or not (basically if it wouldn't start on the first attempt, it wouldn't start at all), it's now got to the point that the bike won't start without a run-up.

However, once the engine is up to running temperature and idling comfortably, I can turn it off and turn it back on - and it turns over immediately.

I'm assuming this means my problem is most likely battery-related, since apart from the intial cranking over, everything else seems to be fine.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else with an older Monster had these sorts of issues with the bike turning over at first?

When I had the bike in for its major service 6,000km ago, my mechanic said the battery was okay, but the starting issues has been pretty constant regardless. Might a new one fix the issue? Or one of those new lithium-ion(?) ones?

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I would start with a multi meter, and see what your battery voltage is

a) while running (s/b > 13.6v) (if lower, probably a vr problem)
b) right after coming back from a ride after shut down (s/b > 12.8)
c) next morning (s/b still 12.8) if not, may be either a voltage regulator issue, or a stator issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Clean up your terminals and check the electrolyte levels in your battery cells. If it's an old battery it may need replacing. If it's a newer one you may be able to extend the battery life and aleviate your lack of crank in the morning with a battery tender. They work great, top up the battery charge while you're not riding, and give you piece of mind next time you throw a leg over.
Of course if it's not the battery then you've got some trouble shooting to do. If it's starting when it's all warmed up though chances are your battery is low.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Try the starter solinoid (The same on most carbed models), located (As you sit on the bike) on the right hand side just beside the battery in a rubber mount.

Mine was very intermittant, and then just gave up, but if i jump started the bike it would run fine and restarted sometimes afterwards.

Do make sure the battery is fully charged as well! Good luck!

Yorkie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts