Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

What's the deal with stock (Special) adjustable forks on a 98 Monster 900S and cilp ons. Are there special clip ons I need? There doesn't appear to be much left above the top clamp for them to grab onto. ???

Anyone have any photo's or experience with this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
sometimes you have to pop the top of the triple off and slide them onto the tube under the triple.....all depends on if you have your rake and trail and sag and other settings of your suspension set up appropriately firth though...sometimes you end up readjusting your front end to allow the tubes to come up through the triple moreso which would help put more weight on the front end thus sometimes eliminating the need for clip-on's....not all the time mind you....it is as much personal feel as it is functionality....but this would possibly also give you the room for clip on's above the triple in certain cases.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
If all goes well, and I mean "IF", I'll let you know after this weekend, with pics. I'm planning on installing clip-ons on my '98.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, thanks.

I've noticed you lurking around the same threads as me (much more knowledgeable than me I might add).

Did you see I chopped my tail - my first major mod and I'm hooked!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Road racing and Rizoma made above the triple units that bolted where the handle bar clamp goes. I don't know if they are still available. Motowheels also has these:

http://tinyurl.com/pnf4s

Otherwise either lower the front (which changes geometry radically) or go under the triple.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
sjjkennedy said:
Nice, thanks.

I've noticed you lurking around the same threads as me (much more knowledgeable than me I might add).

Did you see I chopped my tail - my first major mod and I'm hooked!
Maybe it's just me but everytime I see a chopped tail I instantly think that the exhaust cans need to be shortened too, just to keep things in balance. 8)

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
OK I did the conversion today.

I used the billet clipon from MotoWheels. They fit above the triple clamp. They are 18mm deep at the clamp section so I didn't have to change the front geometry a bit to fit them. They did require that I refit the throttle cable and reroute the brake / clutch lines a bit. I had stock front turn signals fitted prior to this but now there is interference so I will have to make new brackets for the t sigs and relocate them. I will have pictures later. Sorry but we had to cut things a bit short today in order to beat a rainstorm coming in. The bike is home but the camera is at the shop.

I'm six feet tall with long arms so the new position fits me well so far. It's a bit more aggressive but not too bad. Still comfortable but makes me want to ride faster due to the better handling at any kind of road speed above "crawl". Slow speed turning will take some adjustment on my part but isn't anything too weird. The bars transmit a bit more buzz feeling from the engine but it's certainly not objectionable. I like it a lot so far. In fact so much that it has, at least temporarily, quelled my curiosity about how a SBK would ride.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool, look forward to seeing the photo's! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mac900 said:
I used the billet clipon from MotoWheels. They fit above the triple clamp. They are 18mm deep at the clamp section so I didn't have to change the front geometry a bit to fit them.
Hey Mac900, I measured the distance from the top of my triple clamp to the top of my forks (at the widest part) and I only have 14mm clearance. I'm wondering if mines stock now?

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
sjjkennedy said:
Hey Mac900, I measured the distance from the top of my triple clamp to the top of my forks (at the widest part) and I only have 14mm clearance. I'm wondering if mines stock now?
I dunno about that one. I had to adjust the forks last year and needed to drop the tubes a bit in the triples to do that so I initially had even more than 18mm tube showing. It has never occured to me to find out what a stock setting is supposed to be.

I'll try to get some pictures tonight but no promises. We didn't get power on at our house until 3am this morning so there is a fair bit of clean up and catch up work to do when I get home tonight.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Re: 1998 Monster Special Handle Bar advice -- Now w/ Pics

Here's some pics of the Motowheels clip ons. Before & after shots.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The bars transmit a bit more buzz feeling from the engine but it's certainly not objectionable.
Hey I've been wondering about that. I stuck some Cycle Cat clips on my M800 last winter and there was a long down time between riding with the stock bars and the new clips (like 5 months) so it was tough to remember what the stock bars felt like. I thought maybe there was more "buzz" but I made so many other changes last winter I really couldn't pin it on anything. This comment has got me wondering again...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts