Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Ducati Monster m750
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am so happy I found this group. Hopefully, I can add some knowledge where needed, if needed in the future.

But for now, I hope that someone could help with some advice on why my m750 makes a knocking noise when cold, when idling and when letting out the clutch in first gear.
It goes away sometimes when it's been ridden for more than 10km and is warm.

I have, within the last 3000km, had a full fluids service, had the bike checked by Ducati, a bunch of other new parts and most recently new chain and sprockets. The noise was there before the new chain and sprockets were put on.

My guess is that something is wrong with the gearbox?

The noise wasn't there until quite recently. It had been sitting for a while (previous owner) before I got it and the oil was quite dirty which is why I've had the oil and filter changed twice in the last 3000km just to make sure all is good on that front. Fully synthetic oil was used.

I really appreciate any advice as I don't want to go out and find a new gearbox and install if it's not the problem.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1997 Ducati Monster m750
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Sorry, I meant I had it checked by Ducati when I first got it and all was good. Now, they will have to disassemble to check but that will also be quite costly.

·
Registered
1997 Ducati Monster m750
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Can feel it through the lever when letting out the clutch in first, and also when changing to second. Otherwise no problem when changing gears.

If it were a dry clutch I wouldn't be worried, and if it didn't suddenly start happening as well.

The bike sat for about 2-3 weeks as we had floods. It was parked undercover but luckily the water only got up to the rim. I was thinking it was due to standing and rapid temperature changes but disregarded that hypothesis because it's still there after riding and having an oil service done. I'll try to get a video of it this weekend and add it to this thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts