Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 1997 Ducati Monster 750. The bike has about 18k miles on it and I just did my first valve tolerance check. All were in spec except the intake on the horizontal cylinder which was about 0.001 tight. My intention was to remove the bucket, retrieve a shim and simply sand it on a piece of glass to bring it within spec. However, when I removed the bucket there was no shim. I know I did not drop the shim because I reassembled the valve and checked the tolerance again and I got the same results again. Actually it was slightly tighter (maybe 0.0005) because the bucket wasn't totally seated on the valve.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had ever run across this. I considered sanding down the top of the bucket slightly to bring that valve back into tolerance but wanted to get some feedback before doing so. Would it be expected that the valves need to be reworked already at this millage? Or should I suspect something else?

In general the bike runs really well with the exception that it is a little rough at slow speeds. Once you open up the throttle a little it feels great.

Any wise words would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
The buckets are the shims.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts