Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the time comes I am thinking of putting a 170 on the rear of my 620. I have a couple of questions. I noticed on the Pirelli site that a 170 is recommended for a 5" rim but will fit on either a 4.5" or 5.5" as well. I know mounting it on a rim different from the design width you'll change the profile. But which would be preferable putting it on a 4.5" making it rounder, or on a 5.5" making it flatter? Don't really plan on swapping rims but was just curious. I've read a number of people have put the 170 on a 4.5" and had not trouble.

Also, if I go to a 170 on the rear should I change to a different size/series up front?

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
If you put a 170 on a rim that is too narrow you could end up with less traction and a heavier tire both, plus a tire that takes longer to warm up to operating temperatures.

If you have to squeeze the tire in so that it is rounder, the profile could be such that you can no longer lean it far enough to get to the tire edge.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Depending on the track I swap back and forth between a 160 and 170 on the M620 I race. I havent noticed any problems with having the 170 on the rear

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I realize that a 170 'can' be fit on a 4.5" and that certain issues may arise. But it 'can' also fit on a 5.5"...with certain issues. My question is if you are going to deviate which size would it be preferable on, 4.5" or 5.5"?

W

·
0 Posts
Depending on the track I swap back and forth between a 160 and 170 on the M620 I race. I havent noticed any problems with having the 170 on the rear
Hey Ducman, when do you use the 160 and when the 170 ???
I don't know what to choose, I mainly ride those twisty roads, almost no highway etc ... which one would be best for me ?

R

·
0 Posts
The rim that gives you the intended profile for the tire is preferable. When Pirelli or others give you recommended tire sizes for rims it is one, preferable, and two prolly a legal statement. Also two different tire companies can have the same tire size with two different profiles. Between a 4.5 or 5.5 one may like a 170
on a 4.5, another may prefer a 5.5.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, Ducman, what 170 do you run? When you switch to the 170 rear do you still use the same tire up front as with the 160?

R

·
0 Posts
oh Ducman is off list, if it helps remember his bike is race only and on Michelins race tires last time I saw it....

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Avoid Dunlop 170s when doing this, as they are 180mm wide and curl around too much on a 4.5" wheel. Our Aprilia race bikes with 4.5" wheels have used 155, 160, and 165 rear tire widths. The 160 is about perfect and the 165 can't get to the edge. If I had a Ducati with 4.5" rear wheel, I'd fit a 160.

:) Chris

·
Registered
74 Posts
Avoid Dunlop 170s when doing this, as they are 180mm wide and curl around too much on a 4.5" wheel. Our Aprilia race bikes with 4.5" wheels have used 155, 160, and 165 rear tire widths. The 160 is about perfect and the 165 can't get to the edge. If I had a Ducati with 4.5" rear wheel, I'd fit a 160.

:) Chris
Are the Dunlop 160s OK on a 4.5?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Now-now, lets not rag on Dunlops. Go with a 150-160-or 170, of whatever brand you like. All tires will make the bike handle different, you may or may not like a particular size or make, but until you try it, you won't know. Personally, I buy what's on sale.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cycle Gear has an in-store special tomorrow on Dunlop 208ZRs- $69.99 front and $89.99 rear.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Now-now, lets not rag on Dunlops. Go with a 150-160-or 170, of whatever brand you like. All tires will make the bike handle different, you may or may not like a particular size or make, but until you try it, you won't know. Personally, I buy what's on sale.
I know Norm, Im just jerking his chain. Im a Michelin guy but I know lots of Dunlop riders.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
The narrower tire will "flick" in and out of turns easier than a 170. I have run a 160 on a M900 and they were fine. I have a 180 on my 900 now as I won them, but bike turns in like crap, will be replacing soon.

S

·
0 Posts
so what tire would u suggest ? I'm running a 180 dunlop 207 rr that I got dirt cheap. Do you htink I should move down to 170 ?

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I am putting a 170 on as soon as the Marchesini gets back from the powdercoater. I have the same tire now 180/ 207RR
and it turns like crap.

S

·
0 Posts
let me know if you swap them up. I'm curious as to how well it turns out. 207rr were $150 a pair, I htink I am going Pirelli once I go through these. I really liked the 208zr on my R6

1 - 20 of 22 Posts