Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 4.5 rim and the stock 160 tire. I can put on a 170 on the rim right?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Yes you can. Depending on track layout I have used a 170 on my 620, but take note. Check with the Mfr of the tire you are looking at to find the rolling Diameter of the tire as youll not only be changing width but if you change profile as well the height changes as well.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really don't know much about tires. I checked the pirelli diablos and there site recommends the 160 for the monster 620 (m800). Have not really seen any specs as to what size rim it requires for the 170

travis

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I put a 170 Diablo on my M800 when I replaced the stock 160 Dragon. I personally like the fact that my lean in isn't quite a quick, feels more "predictable" to me...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah sweet. going to have to get those then. Are they noticeably fatter? The skinny wheel is bugging me the same way my mirrors were. Eventually going to get some mag wheels but not for a while.

travis

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Yeah, they are definitely a bit fatter, but not as much as you'd think.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Not sure about other mfgs, but Avon has a table for each line of their tires that shows min and max rim widths for each tire size.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also switched from a stock 160 Dragon to a 170 Diablo on my M800.
I like the added thickness of the 170, but can honestly say that the 160 was a little more nimble in the twisties.
Also, the 170 does look slightly disproportionate when squeezed on the 4.5 wheel.
It

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I'm curious now if feeling the difference between a 160 and 170 on a 4.5" tire is more rider preference or height/weight/strength of the rider...

Being 6'3" I have a lot of leverage to push on my bars and turn. I also have a lot of upper body hanging off the bike in a turn. When I first started riding the Monster I fealt the turn in was just TOO fast, it felt like my body was pulling the bike too far over too fast. So what does everyone think? Is it just what we like or do the physical factors have something to do with people liking the 160s or 170s?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I've got a 5.5 inch rim off a 900 with a 180 on my rear, and my bike turns in perfect and I'm a light guy. (5'10" 145lbs) You will turn in a little slower with a larger tire, but not a whole lot. You just have a larger contact patch.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been looking to a get a 5.5 inch rim off a 900/1000 but not luck so far. If anyone knows anyone selling one or where I could get one for a decent price let me know.

travis

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Careful when buying a new rim. Thge 2003 use a 25mm rear axle like a S4. Prior to 2003, Monsters used a 17mm rear.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ah cool good to know. so I could get used s4 rims?

Or if I were to buy new rims then later get a s4r I could use the magnesium rims on the s4r?

That is one thing that worries me about 2500 rims. Not being able to put them on my next bike.

travis

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Careful when buying a new rim. Thge 2003 use a 25mm rear axle like a S4. Prior to 2003, Monsters used a 17mm rear.
I'm not sure if that's true I believe the axle size changed in 2001, not '03. I have an '01 750 dark and have 25mm axles in front and back.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well, I checked several of the motorcycle tire sites and with Dunlop, Bridgestone and Avon the 4.50 rim falls within the approved rim width range for the 170/60-17 with Avon showing the optimum rim as 4.50 for that tire. I couldn't get anywhere with Pirelli or Michelin's websites.

I'm thinking that next spring, when I put new tires on the M750, I might give the 170/60-17 a try with a 120/70-17 front.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Daryl,

Are you sure the 2001 has a 25mm rear axle?
That's doesn't surprise me though. The Ducati application chart is often hit and miss...We have fit several 2001/2002 bikes with 25mm front/17mm rear.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Im not sure if this has any relation on the 750 but my 02 620 also has a 25mm axle front and rear.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I'll have to check again, I might be crazy. Also, been working on an '02 620ie lately, maybe that's where I got confused. Anyhow, I'll let you know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts