Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the 2003 620 fit a 170 size tire on the factory rim?
I like the fatter tail look but wonder if the performance will be hurt by the change?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
skinny tires allow the bike to flick thru the turns better than fat ones. fat tires offer more contact patch with the road surface. take your pick

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Yes it does fit. Ive put a 170 on my Race 620 now for tracks like BIR that have longer higher speed sweepers for the extra stability that it provides, but I use a 160 and 110 combo for tighter tracks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have also been debating putting a 170 instead of a 160 on my 750 when these Dunlops wear down. I am curious what is reasonable price to pay to have both tires changes if you bring in the tires you want put on. Anyone have an estimate? I know it would be cheaper to take both wheels off and bring them to a shop, however, I do not have a front stand...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Pirelli catalog says the minimum rim width for a 170 is 5 inches. You can shoe horn one on the 4.5 inch rim, and I won't argue with someone who races them, but it will change the profile of the tire more than the manufacturer intended. It also raises the rear height (which would help turn in.) A 120/70 on the front will fit ok in profile for a 3.5 inch rim but will also raise the front which you probably don't want to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts