Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of cutting open my airbox on my 02 750i.e. (fuel injected). I asked my local dealer what they would charge to tweak the mixture to make it richer. They said they'd bill about two hours (approximately $150 to $160) to tune it. That seems rather extreme to me. I've seen others say that they paid anywhere from $20 to nothing!

In addition, both the service writer and the technician suggested that I don't cut it open. They said that it won't give me any more power, and may even have negative effects. They said something about the intake requiring some sort of pressure to keep things running right. The emperical evidence I've gathered on this board doesn't seem to support their claims. Any thoughts on this? Is an open airbox less effective on an FI monster? How much should I expect to pay for the adjustment? And finally, can anyone suggest a place in the SF Bay Area that can do the work for a more reasonable price?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
your right. the longest part of the tweek is picking up the mathesis and walking to the bike. if you want to get the full advatage of the open airbox, you need more than the tweek.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Here is my suggestion, dont have them adjust your mix, go get a power commander (about $300) and then it is very simple to adjust yourself. Now if you cant do the install on a power commander (it just involves splicing a few wires) you will be spending about the same to have it installed and mapped. The thing about a power commander is you can adjust it for whatever mods you want, like cutting the airbox, or pipes, or engine mods.
Now, the issue of airbox design involves theories that are way over my head but it is designed the way it is for a reason. You do want to create some amount of pressure with incoming air to help with low end torque. If you ran without your airbox alltogether it would probably feel slower in the low rpms but faster once it got up high. This is why racing applications do it. They try to keep the rpms up all the time so it is better to have free flowing air (not to mention the engine mods and carb/EFI adjustments) going in. The more air you get in, the more fuel you can dump in. That said, dont just go and cut open your airbox on a stock bike and expect results. It will feel worse. I have an open airbox but I also have my motor bored out 44cc and FCR carbs on so the power is not an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I got the same "not recommended" answer from Munroe Motors here in SF when i talked to them about an open airbox. In fact almost all mods I've done to the bike that I mentioned at the dealer are "not recommended". At this point I've started ignoring the techs, they seem to know what they're doing for basic maintenance/tuning, but when it comes to mods and/or upgrades they don't seem too interested in helping out...

G

·
The PCIII on the 2002 requires 1 wire splice and they include the plastic splice tap to do it. The most difficult part of the mod is finding a place to attach the PCIII.

FBF sells the PCIII with a map for open airbox & slipons.

The only downside of the whole thing so far, and I might blame the map, is at 3-4k rpm in 3rd/4th gear, almost closed throttle the engine gives a little misfire. Could be overly rich condition or it might be a lack of pressure on the intake.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I got the same "not recommended" answer from Munroe Motors here in SF when i talked to them about an open airbox. In fact almost all mods I've done to the bike that I mentioned at the dealer are "not recommended". At this point I've started ignoring the techs, they seem to know what they're doing for basic maintenance/tuning, but when it comes to mods and/or upgrades they don't seem too interested in helping out...
Talk to Desmoto on 9th @ Folsom (desmotosport.com). They're a Ducati shop, not a dealer.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Call up Jim Davis at Nichols Mfg. (408-945-0911) and see if he can make the adjustment you need. He works strictly on Ducatis and charges reasonable prices for whatever needs to be done. And he'll be honest with you about it.

For my 1997 M900 (carbureted), opening the airbox improved engine behavior pretty much everywhere. I'm keeping the airbox closed on my fuel injected ST2, though, because I like how it runs right now, and I prefer to have it make less noise than a Monster.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I stratified my pipes by hacking them down to about 9 inches, which made them straight pipes like those exspense aftermarket things.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Are you planning to cut the airbox yourself your have them do that? Did they quote you a K&N filter in that price as well? That would explain why it would cost so much.

1/2 hour to tweek $30
K&N filter $70
3/4 hour cutting box $60
Total $160

Just a long shot....

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Mike....
Buy your K&N, bring your bike over and Marty will do it. He did mine in about 40 minutes. He has all the tools :)

G

·
i'm going to take a guess at why a dealer would discourage you from cutting open the airbox. that guess is that they're not confident in tuning the ECU with the Mathesis tool. i think a good number of mechanics are kind of puzzled by how it works and what to adjust.
if a mechanic told me that increased intake potential was bad for the motor, i'd laugh... the ONLY purpose i'm aware of for the airbox lid is to keep intake noise to a minimum.
if an open airbox lid was bad for performance, then why would ducati include one with their performance kits?

that said... if you know what settings to change (CO levels and TPS) and what to change them to using the Mathesis, you're looking at a 10 minute job. if your dealer wants to "experiment" with a few different settings and actually test-ride the bike between changes, then sure... one or two hours of labor isn't unreasonable in my oppinion. just be sure you're on the same page on what's to be done.

as for cutting open the airbox lid yourself? i'd recommend drilling a hole toward each corner of the airbox lid. use a drill bit that's big enough to get a jigsaw blade though. use the jigsaw to "connect the dots" and you're good to go. smooth out the cut-line with sandpaper if you're anal. i think this is much cleaner than using a dremel tool (which i found to melt the plastic just as much as it cut it).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Anybody (in the NJ/NYC area) know how to do this? I'm looking to open my airbox too, but don't want to have to go to the lengths of visiting a mechanic and getting ripped off...Thanks!

G

·
to do the work yourself, you could install a powercommander (PCIII) and fiddle with the mapping. if you want to tune the stock ECU via the Mathesis, i think you're stuck going to the dealer. i don't think it's an item many private owners have $$$.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ally, that sounds great. Check your PM.

Thanks for all the info everyone. It seems I have some options to look into. I may go the PCIII route, but where that would fall on my mod list, I do not know. Just to clarify a couple of things, the dealer's labor charge was only to make the adjustment - I would be cutting the lid and providing the filter. I have slip ons, if that makes any difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts