Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does this take to install on a 696? I asked the dealer in passing and they quoted an hour worth of labor to get this done. Is this BS? A friend of mine who is a mechanic said that I should be able to remove the front sprocket, install the 14T and reattach the chain. He said that I would probably have to modify the tension but not enough to remove a link. Let me know.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Probably less time than it takes to drink a coke. By a sprocket from Chris K and install it yourself or have your wife do it. Save some money. How much are they clipping you for the sprocket?

·
Registered
29 Posts
They charged me $40 bucks for "half an hour's" work to install the 14T sprocket and tighten up the chain. Had them do it cause my bike was already at the shop for service.

·
Registered
64 Posts
How long does this take to install on a 696? I asked the dealer in passing and they quoted an hour worth of labor to get this done. Is this BS? A friend of mine who is a mechanic said that I should be able to remove the front sprocket, install the 14T and reattach the chain. He said that I would probably have to modify the tension but not enough to remove a link. Let me know.

Thanks
About 45 mins. You will not need to remove a link. There are a few posts that describe in detail with pics. on the 14T sprocket change just search the site.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I did it myself. I had to loosen the rear wheel, remove the sprocket cover, remove the slave cylinder for the clutch and then remove the sprocket. I took my time and it took an hour including re-tensioning the chain. I don't know if an hour of your time is worth more than a hundred bucks but for me it was not. Great mod by the way and easy to do.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They were going to charge $80.00 for an hours worth of labor. Some say you need to loosen the rear wheel and the slave cylinder, while others say you pop it off, put he new one on and tighten the chain. Which is it?

·
Registered
168 Posts
depends on how good your mechanical abilities are. taking the slave off isn't a big deal; if you think it is, then have the dealer do it. whether you take it off or not, you still need to loosen the wheel and readjust the chain.

do yourself a favor and do the research to find out if you can do it or not before you ask so many questions. There are tons of threads on this topic alone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
They were going to charge $80.00 for an hours worth of labor. Some say you need to loosen the rear wheel and the slave cylinder, while others say you pop it off, put he new one on and tighten the chain. Which is it?
lucky you, my ducati dealer charges $99.00/hr labor rates for all ducatis. he did work in the bologna factory for 10+ years but still...glad i bought my 696 with the free first 2 services included.

·
Registered
663 Posts
you should look around, I found a racer near me that did my 520 conversion with a -1 (14) Front and a +1 (38) Rear, PLUS chain, parts and labor for $200.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I figure my time is worth about $5/hr, but I'll do it for a coke (diet).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts