Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just taken delivery of a new 1100...and...love it.

Racked up 200km today and noticed that it's not that smooth at low speeds. Sure, i need to practice my clutch/accelerator control...but am quickly coming to the conclusion that a 14th front sprocket would help. I live right in the centre of Bangkok...for those that have been here...you will know our infamous traffic jams....so i do go bumper to bumper lots.

I had a S2R a few years back and the addition of a 14th sprocket made a huge difference...much smoother.

Can i expect the same difference on the 1100?

ps.. i know why they call this the 'baby killer' machine...my nut sack hurts like hell (and yes, i did change to a touring/comfort seat already). :eek:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just taken delivery of a new 1100...and...love it.

Racked up 200km today and noticed that it's not that smooth at low speeds. Sure, i need to practice my clutch/accelerator control...but am quickly coming to the conclusion that a 14th front sprocket would help. I live right in the centre of Bangkok...for those that have been here...you will know our infamous traffic jams....so i do go bumper to bumper lots.

I had a S2R a few years back and the addition of a 14th sprocket made a huge difference...much smoother.

Can i expect the same difference on the 1100?

ps.. i know why they call this the 'baby killer' machine...my nut sack hurts like hell (and yes, i did change to a touring/comfort seat already). :eek:
If most of your riding is low gears and bumper-to bumper, going to a 14T is definitely the way to go. It does make a big difference. The only thing you have to lose is top speed, but who goes 130mph on a bike with no wind protection anyway??? Not me...

I had a 14T on my M1100 and it was great. I now have a 15T front with a 41T (+2) in the rear and it feels even better. I also went to a 520 chain/sprocket setup from the stock 525. I do 95% of my riding around town and twisty canyon roads, with short freeway sprints here and there. Like I said, maybe now my top speed is 125mph instead of 130mph or whatever. Who cares?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for that...

I talked to the dealer here yesterday...he recommended the back sprocket change...and he then suggested that for smoothness in slow traffic, the best thing of all would be to change the muffler to Ducati Performance as it smooths out the gas flow and the throttle response will be more controllable than the stock muffler bcos of the catalytic convertor

Any thoughts on this?...change the muffler AND the back sprocket?...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thx for that...

Any thoughts on this?...change the muffler AND the back sprocket?...
I can't argue with that, as it's exactly what I did.

I'm +2 on the back sprocket and have the DP Termi exhaust kit.

The bike is smooth, sounds glorious, and she runs like a raped-ape. ;D

You're not going to get rid of the low RPM hiccups on the bike though. It just doesn't like the 3000-4000 RPM range. I guess it's a Ducati thing...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts