Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone- just got my M696 ABS and am loving it.. but I can't get over how jerky the bike is in lower RPM's + 1st/2nd gears. I do 90% city/highway riding and plan on commuting to work on my bike but the touchy throttle and on/off acceleration is a PITA.

Based on my research and from searching the forums, my options seem to be:

1.) Get used to it / break-in bike; it'll get better
2.) 14T front sprocket
3.) Throttle Tamer

I can't imagine, based on the comments here, that break-in will make the jerkiness THAT much better & and I have an ABS bike so 14T sprocket swap WILL not work.

That pretty much leaves me with; Option 3... anything I'm missing here? I'd like to consider all of my options before splurging.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
It will get a bit better, but here are a couple of things that I did that helped a lot.

Tightened up the chain to the tight end of the spec

The ProTune Powermap Programmer made the throttle way less 'on-off' and made it much better to ride.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
He has an abs bike, changing the gearing isn't an option.

·
Registered
138 Posts
ABS=No Gearing Changes??

He has an abs bike, changing the gearing isn't an option.
I may someday have a moto w/ABS. What's the deal with sprocket changes and ABS? I thought ABS sensors detected slip by comparing wheel speeds (front vs. rear). How would changing stock gearing affect ABS?:confused:

·
Banned
39 Posts
I just got a 2010 696 with ABS. After reading here and having my dealer in Indy check into it I have been told that you can use the 14t sprocket and am planning on having it put on at my 600 mile service.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Parking lot lugging is a fact, with stock gearing, on all 2nd gen Monsters regardless of engine size.

14T for distance cruising reasons is one thing, but for low speed city riding just save your money and forget it. Your chain will last longer without it.

I am mostly against 14T because it cheats the rider out of the next level of throttle skill.

When performing a physical exercise, most people want to rush the hardest part of the movement, when in fact that is where the best control gains are had.

Make peace with the jerkiness, realize it won't kill you. Over time this will naturally increase your throttle control, to ever increasing levels of perfection. Don't accept the easy shorcuts, don't cheat yourself out of the benefit of doing things the hard way.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I have a 796 ABS, I did the 14/41 switch and personally I much prefer it. I have an older 750 monster as well and now they are geared similarly. I do want to get the bike dynotuned for my mods after the break in period but changing the gearing was a great first step for me.

I used to ride cbr600s, so throttle control isn't a problem for me. I haven't felt the need for a throttle tamer. I did ride the bike for a bit with the stock gearing and it's mostly a matter of reminding yourself where to shift but I really didn't like it. I was doing 55 mph in second. What was 6th gear for?

Interestingly the popular Ducati scrambler which has the same engine as the 796 is geared 15/46 versus the 15/39 of the M796. So dropping to a 14/39 is roughly similar to a 15/41. The 14/41 I have on my bike is close to a 15/43 which still isn't quite as short as a scrambler which is more intended for around town driving. Some of the scrambler guys gear their bikes taller. In the end it comes down to personal preference and where you do most of your riding.

All things being equal it's better to size up the rear sprocket then drop the front. It requires a new chain though so many people just do the 14 in the front. It does cause more wear due to the tighter radius but how much wear is debated somewhat hotly with very little actual evidence on either side.

The 14 switch is a very cheap and easy mod. Try it and see if you like it. If you're worried about chain wear when your chain wears out then switch to a 15/41.

Ask your dealer about the abs being an issue but I was told that it had no effect on the abs system since the abs system has its own sensor ring.

If anyone here has any contradictory information about the abs please post it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts