Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahoy Mateys.

Arrgh, I be thinkin' of a new treasure for me Monster. (OK, I'll knock off the pirate talk...).

It's a bit tall for my uses and I don't really care if I chop off some top-end speed. But I seem to recall reading somplace that it's better to go up 2 in the rear rather than down one in the front.

Why, because a smaller front sprocket can cause excessive wear (or even eventual wearing out) of the front chain guide.

Does that make sense? Seems it would be easier to change out the front (and less $$$), but I don't want to create a problem....

--Pirate Tom--

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Um the chain guides going to wear anyway. As the swingarm moves up and down it makes contact with the guide.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I remember the reason being that the chain has to turn a tighter radius, therefore increases chain wear... Is it a problem, I wouldn't think so... I am going to go 2 up in the rear, but that was just because I wasn't sure how much diff it would make and heard that 1 down in front is equal to 3 up in the rear...

G

·
On various Monster tech sites this problem is addressed. A smaller front sprocket can/will cause excessive wear to the chain and the front chain guide and eventually the swing arm. Removing the back wheel is fairly easy. Do it slowly because some small bits will come loose, these are the spacers, no problem getting them back in place.

Slim

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
We keep getting people claiming a 14-tooth front causes swingarm wear, but nobody has ever put up a photo of this excessive wear. I had a 14-tooth front on my Monster for about 6000 miles and I saw no evidence of any wear at all caused by the chain. I couldn't imagine the guide wearing out in 100,000 miles (or ever) based on the wear I saw in 6000 miles.

I'll be putting a 14-tooth on the front of my ST2 sometime soon and excessive wear will not be of the slightest concern to me.

As for computing how much it will change your gearing, I made a post on that (at the end of the thread) here:

http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bi...ech;action=display;num=1076000459;start=13#13

Anybody capable of putting two numbers in a calculator can easily figure out what the exact gearing change will be. Why just guess how one tooth in front compares to two or three in the back when you can get the exact numbers? ::)

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
On various Monster tech sites this problem is addressed. A smaller front sprocket can/will cause excessive wear to the chain and the front chain guide and eventually the swing arm.Slim
Hi Slim,

Please try to refrain from declaring fact. Without evidence, it is hearsay. DISinformation is more hazardous than lack of information.

My 14T c/s sprocket experience is on my 916 Ducati. I ran 14t front sprocets for the whole time I owned the bike. The original owner installed 14t front right away. I ran that sprocket and stock chain until 16,000+ miles. Then I changed out to new 14t front and 38 or so rear sprocket. That same setup was on there until just before I sold it.

Since I only have 900cc 2V bikes, I haven't used 14t front on any, but I've sold a TON of the things and no one has ever complained.

:) Chris

G

·
Replacing the rear spocket.
Hi Trumper, to replace the rear sprocket, take a look at www.duc.orc
(Ducaties Unlimited) Look under Bikes/Ducati technical, there you will find the instructions I used for replacing the rear spocket. It is an easy step by step instruction. Originally made by Don Suchers for his 900SS, but works for the Monster as well.

Slim

·
Registered
86 Posts
14t and 11k, no problems. still....when the rear sprocket shows enough wear to be replaced i'll reinstall the original 15t front and go to a 41t in the rear. doesn't cost any more, and if it makes my chain a little happier i'm ok with that.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I haven't heard of any 14T problems on these bikes, but the swingarm wear & chain wear seem to have valid arguments in theory. I usually run a 15T, but, I had an Aprilia 250 that ran a 13t from time to time & spun up to 12,500 RPM without incedent, so........................

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
i could see excessive chain guide wear if you continually run with a very loose, floppy chain. also, in theory, you would increase chain wear because of the smaller radius of the sprocket. then you have the "hunting/non hunting" issue. in reality, i doubt it would matter. if you want the 14, do it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts