Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just finished installing a 14T front sprocket that I bought from Chris at ca-cycleworks.com. For those of you who haven't experienced it... let's just say I still have a grin on my face from the test ride.
Installation was a lot easier than I was anticipating. Installation and chain adjustment took only about an hour total.
The bike feels MUCH more responsive and a little scary... at least until I get used to it. Cracking the throttle at just over 2K RPM in 1st gear sends the front tire off the ground. I never thought that such a little mod can make such a difference.

Highly Recommended!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like a big difference....I am curious what size monster do you have? It would be nice to get my 750 that strong in the low end. I bought a 14 tooth sprocket last fall, haven't had a chance to put it on (no rear stand yet). What was involved with adjusting the chain? Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I have an 800, so I'm sure the results will be similar for you once you do the install.
To adjust the chain you need the following tools:

Rear Stand
30mm socket
17mm hex key
12mm (I think) socket

Adjusting the chain is easy.
1. Prop the bike on the stand
2. Loosen the 30mm nut on the right side
3. Adjust the (2) 12mm nuts on the back of your swingarm until you have reached the desired tension (according to the book, it should have 25mm or nearly an inch of play from the middle of the chain). Make sure you use the markings on the swingarm to make sure they are even on both sides.
4. Holding the hex key on the left side and the socket on the right, tighten the nut and you're done!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
14 ehh?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks Zues, hopefully, I will get around to doing that in the next couple weeks, hopefully this frigid Cincinnati winter will let up soon.... :mad:

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
hey, where about the natti are you ? I graduated many years ago from Princeton there hehehe small world

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Princeton, man that brought back memories I went to Moeller and no I did not play football.

·
Registered
403 Posts
This may be a silly question but by changing the front sprocket does it throw off the speedo?
I changed mine and agree there is a big difference.
Forgive my stupidness.
gator

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
the speedometer signal, whether mechanical as in a
torsion shaft from the front wheel or electrical as in
a hall sensor from the rear wheel (S4R ... way to go
ducati. moving right into the 20th century!), won't be
affected by changes in gearing.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Hey, this is moronic; er, I mean ironic - but I just changed mine over to a 14t yesterday as well! What a kwinky-dink!

I like it too, but don't really feel a hugely noticeable difference...

·
Registered
100 Posts
If anybody is interested in really low gearing, I was sent a 13T gearbox sprocket by mistake when I ordered a 14T from Daytona m'cycles in England. The 14T alone is just right (for me) on the S4.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm in the Hyde Park area of the nati.' My second year down here, not too bad, but I am still partial to Columbus and Cleveland. Any other monster owners arnd here? I have seen one red 750 like mine, but that's it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You might check out www.DesmOhio.com to find some more Ohio (and surrounding area) Ducati owners. We have a few monsters owners in the club (including me). However, I'm all the way up at the lake by Cleveland.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
I'm originally from Cleveland.
Moved to Cincy about 2 years ago.
Cleveland is better!!!
I live in Mt. Lookout for the time being, about a 1/4 mile from the square.
It is supposed to be 51 on Thursday and 55 and Friday.
If it is not ****ing poring rain I will be out!!!
Oh yeah I have a 14t up front, I liked it so much I put a 43t on the rear, Can't wait to see what I got myself into. It'll probably be screaming at highway speeds so it may be a short lived mod.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
I went 14T last wekend also. WORLD of a difference, bike is much smoother doesnt studder at low rpms and is more fun to rev up. Best mod ever!

·
Registered
74 Posts
what is the top speed when you went to a 14 in front and 2 up in the back? what does it do on the highway now?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts