Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What will the 14 tooth sprocket do to a stock 2007 S4RS??

Shift the torque and HP band to lower RPM's?

Get the front wheel off the ground in 1st, 2nd and 3rd?

Give me a smoother ride at lower rpm, around town?

Make a big difference in top end speed... how much?

Give me a herky-jerky ride at low RPM?

Is it really a noticible change??

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
What will the 14 tooth sprocket do to a stock 2007 S4RS??

Shift the torque and HP band to lower RPM's?

Get the front wheel off the ground in 1st, 2nd and 3rd?

Give me a smoother ride at lower rpm, around town?

Make a big difference in top end speed... how much?

Give me a herky-jerky ride at low RPM?

Is it really a noticible change??

Tom
You will like it.
You really won't lose much at all on top speed because you are limited more by aerodynamics. However you will get up to top speed much sooner - so it actually is more usefull.

-M

·
Registered
203 Posts
Dropping a tooth on the front or adding two teeth to the rear will dramatically change the way most bikes perform. Because of strict noise regulations, most manufacturers go with a gear ratio that lowers the rpm in top gear to pass the db checkers at a certain speed.

I recently changed to a 14 tooth front and the difference is night and day. I suggested to my dealership that they should change the sprocket when prepping the bikes because it is so dramatic.

Jim

·
Registered
45 Posts
If money was not a consideration would most go 1 up in the front or 2 up in the rear? Or is there any difference?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well I'm gonna give my opinion.

Going down 1 in the front is easy, cheaper , and gives great results. I would only go up 2 in the rear if I was changing out the chain. You have to do so when going up 2 in the rear. When going down 1 in the front,you dont need to modify the chain at all. Now the theory is that going down in the front puts more stress on the gearbox. Makes sense in theory, but I don't buy it. I have done the front down a tooth on many of bikes with no problems. I guess if you keep the bike forever, perhaps you may loose a couple miles before it finally dies? Other issues can arrise on certain sportbikes, especially single sided swingarms, with clearance after dropping to 14 tooth in front. In this case going up on the rear is the only choice. Some guys change to a lighter chain and sprocket so going up in the rear makes sense also. Mind you, I am not against going up in the rear, but compare to the ease of dropping a tooth in front, I see no reason not too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts