Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that the inside of my Monsters headlight is fading/turning white. If you look in the pictures on the bottom of the headlight you can see the chrome finish has turned white. Has anyone else had this issue? I did just install a PIAA H4 bulb because my low beam burnt out on the OEM bulb. I didn't notice this until today. It almost looks like it was burnt. Also speaking of fading has anyone had issues with the plastic piece around the exhaust pipe fading? My bike is kept in the garage except when I ride and or park it at work or a restaurant. Its a little over 2 years old with 14K miles on it.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a 2015 monster 1200 with only 3K mimes on it so not a good comparison but I do not have the issue with the headlight housing. I did have an issue with the plastic exhaust cover so I ended up painting it. I figured it couldn't hurt so I bought a can of Krylon paint. I think it came out good and I have not had an issue with it fading. I will take a pic and attach it this week.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today I decided to take the headlight off again and see if I could get into it to see if it was burnt or maybe it was a white film on the inside. I couldn't get the headlight to pull apart without breaking it so I just reached into it with a q-tip and alcohol to see if the white would come off. It seems as if it is discolored permanently. As for the discolored exhaust cover I just decided to take it off. It looks good without it. I plan to put some aluminum heat shield on the back of the exhaust garnish to help protect it from what heat there is.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Μ1200, man, glad you didn't get a 696/796/1100 back in the day as you would've gone crazy - the headlight would turn hazy after a couple of thousands of Km's and...good luck in trying to clean that as the ol' trick of swiping with a cotton swab through the lap housing wouldn't work as the deflector was also housed there, basically, you'd have to tear the whole G'damned headlight apart to clean that ****...

I'm as anal as it gets when it comes to these kind of things but...what you're describing is minor my good man - i cant even see it in the pics ;)

As for the header cover discoloration...i've always found silicone spray/dash spray to somewhat revive matte black bits but you've already removed it so...

For a 18K bike though some details/bits are indeed shite, still, tank's get micro-scratches just by looking at it (paint is oh-so-thin) and we're complaining about the black bit behind the header cover ? that's nothing :D

Ι'm gonna say it again : previous gen monster was much better when it came to the general finish.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Μ1200, man, glad you didn't get a 696/796/1100 back in the day as you would've gone crazy - the headlight would turn hazy after a couple of thousands of Km's and...good luck in trying to clean that as the ol' trick of swiping with a cotton swab through the lap housing wouldn't work as the deflector was also housed there, basically, you'd have to tear the whole G'damned headlight apart to clean that ****...

I'm as anal as it gets when it comes to these kind of things but...what you're describing is minor my good man - i cant even see it in the pics ;)

As for the header cover discoloration...i've always found silicone spray/dash spray to somewhat revive matte black bits but you've already removed it so...

For a 18K bike though some details/bits are indeed shite, still, tank's get micro-scratches just by looking at it (paint is oh-so-thin) and we're complaining about the black bit behind the header cover ? that's nothing :D

Ι'm gonna say it again : previous gen monster was much better when it came to the general finish.
Why not just call me Jorge Lorenzo while you are at it...

Anyways as you can see in the picture the white is VERY visible and kinda annoying being that its permanent and a replacement is between $300-700, If I was to replace it. As for the black plastic its been like that for thousands of miles I just figured I would post that as well while I was thinking about it. Its basically grey and whipping it with anything won't help it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Well, "Jorge", if you don't pull your head out of your butt and stop being so anal, you're never going to get used to the GD Ducati! Whew...there, I said it. I feel better now. :smile

Seriously though, I'm going to check my headlight when I get home. If it's like that, it's probably from being cooked by the incandescent light bulb. I wonder if one of the fan-less LEDs will fit...

BTW...I'm GLAD Lorenzo is having difficulty adjusting. Maybe it'll build some character and make him less of a primadonna!

(Geeze-I hope he doesn't read these forums:0 )

·
Registered
875 Posts
M1200S :

Just got back from an evening ride right ? so, i park my bike and i dust-off the tank (extremely carefully)...take a look after cleaning it and...THERE'S FOOKING MICRO-SCRATCHES everywhere (again).Seat cowl ? same fookin' thing...
I take a look at the right passenger grab rail...there's some discoloration, how the **** i don't know, i always ride solo and the few times i've used the grab rails it's always been the left one when i move my bike around.

Moral of the story : Yes, you're right my good man and you have every right to be anal, detail-wise - and for a 18K bike - it's a ****-show, well, ****-show may sound extreme but...it's kinda bad.
I'm repeating myself here but my previous 796 which i had ridden for 5 years in the sun, snow and wet and on which i used even harsh-ish methods of cleaning when in need (during bike trips for example) never-ever displayed such symptoms with the paint quality being much better than the 1200.

Ducati is skimping on some stuff for sure - and it's laughable to say the least since these are 18K toys we're talking about - oh wait, the Panigale which is a 30K one also has the same problems....

Regarding the headlight thing now, took a look at mine and everything is OK, dunno if that helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed a plug and play LED hi/low light bulb in my Monster and it produces no heat. It's an awesome unit and cost about 50 dollars.
I can try to find pics of the box and bulb if you want to know about it. I picked it up from the Ducati dealer in San Diego. Good stuff.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I installed a plug and play LED hi/low light bulb in my Monster and it produces no heat. It's an awesome unit and cost about 50 dollars.
I can try to find pics of the box and bulb if you want to know about it. I picked it up from the Ducati dealer in San Diego. Good stuff.
Yes, please get more info on that. For 50 bucks it is worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
532 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I bought the OPT7 almost two years ago and works perfect.
very bright and low and high beam
the OPT7 fits perfect, just need a little bit of patience while you try to fit everything ... the is a video in youtube on how to fit it
I see that now is USD $54.95
look it up and compare
after install it needs to be re-adjust using the wall technique bla bla bla.....

This are the OPT7 specs

Bulb Color: 6000K Cool White
LED: CREE MK-R
Lumens per Bulb: 3,538 lm
Wattage per Bulb: 30w
Voltage: 8-32v
Projector Ready: Yes
Warrany: 2 Year
Driver: RedLine Heat Control Driver
Fan: Dual 7,000 RPM TurboCool fan
CANBUS Ready: Yes
Plug-n-Play: Yes
Certifications: IP67 Waterproof, RoHS
Warranty: 2 years with lifetime support

This are the Safego specs

Power=H:20W L:20W,Voltage: DC 12V,Lumen: 2000lm*2
Packing: 1 Pcs LED Bulbs for motor headlight
Energy saving long-term Life Span
Aluminum back housing heat dissipation
LED: Import custom COB light

Cheers

·
Registered
532 Posts
I bought the OPT7 almost two years ago and works perfect.
very bright and low and high beam
the OPT7 fits perfect, just need a little bit of patience while you try to fit everything ... the is a video in youtube on how to fit it
I see that now is USD $54.95
look it up and compare
after install it needs to be re-adjust using the wall technique bla bla bla.....

This are the OPT7 specs

Bulb Color: 6000K Cool White
LED: CREE MK-R
Lumens per Bulb: 3,538 lm
Wattage per Bulb: 30w
Voltage: 8-32v
Projector Ready: Yes
Warrany: 2 Year
Driver: RedLine Heat Control Driver
Fan: Dual 7,000 RPM TurboCool fan
CANBUS Ready: Yes
Plug-n-Play: Yes
Certifications: IP67 Waterproof, RoHS
Warranty: 2 years with lifetime support

This are the Safego specs

Power=H:20W L:20W,Voltage: DC 12V,Lumen: 2000lm*2
Packing: 1 Pcs LED Bulbs for motor headlight
Energy saving long-term Life Span
Aluminum back housing heat dissipation
LED: Import custom COB light

Cheers
Ya, the safego one isn't as nice for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts