Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
just a question about servicing. Now i've had my stallion for 13 months now, and i'm getting a little antsy in my pantsy about keeping her running smoothly. I've only done 7500km's so i'm still short of the mandatory service. Question is; should i get a 12monthly check done or just hold out until the 10000km mark. I'm only able to ride on the weekends due to the cop course, so km's aren't being put on it quickly.

Thanks in advance :police:

·
Registered
474 Posts
well, I've got a 2002 Monster..... and it just clocked up 10,000kms last month.

during that time its only had the oil changed at 1000kms (done by dealer) and again at 5000kms (did myself. just dumped and replaced the oil)

I've been told by numerous mechanics (Sir Ron will need to confirm its validity..) that oil these days is of far better quality that it will easily outlast the changes that we do.

changing the oil every 6 months comes from the old days where it would breakdown a lot quicker than it does now.

But, for peace of mind, what harm is it to change it every 6 months?

·
Registered
318 Posts
My warranty booklet say's and I quote "To be carried out within 10000Km or 12 months from delivery date, whichever occurs first".
Makes me wonder if something goes wrong and you haven't followed this exactly will Duke OZ say your are in breach of warranty.
You know like insurance companies. They will do anything to worm out of paying.

Dunno, interesting question. Anyone here answer this??

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Well your tapets are not wearing out when the bike is off.

All they would do in a 12 month service is change oil and check your belts.

I have also herd that the shims usually not checked at the 10000 service. $750 for what? Oil, filter and a quick look over! :mad:

Rob

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
DUCMONROB said:
Well your tapets are not wearing out when the bike is off.

All they would do in a 12 month service is change oil and check your belts.

I have also herd that the shims usually not checked at the 10000 service. $750 for what? Oil, filter and a quick look over! :mad:
Errmmm, they probably aren't checked if you take it to F****rs or N****side or some other dodgy-arse "service" departments, but checking the clearances is the main point of the 10,000km services.

Hugh, if you've already done an oil change since your 1000km service (a lot of people, me included, change the oil every 5000) I wouldn't worry too much about pushing that 12 months out by 2 or 3 months (though for warranty peace of mind I'd make sure to get it done before 10,000km, and I probably wouldn't let it go as long as 18 months). As Rob points out, valve clearances don't get any worse when the engine is not running (within reason, I wouldn't let it sit for five years then ignore the clearances), but the oil is still getting affected by water condensation (and is actually coping worse when sitting for a long time, since getting the oil up to operating temp gets rid of any condensed water it's gathered).

big

1 - 5 of 5 Posts