Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I decided to put my bike in to the official dealer for the belts and a good check over with fluids for peace of mind..🙄 and to get an official stamp in my book!

Its 6 years old with a very suspect history prior to me buying it just before Xmas.
Yet only 10700k’s and mint condition.👌

But now.. bike runs ‘ok’ but nowhere near as nice as it did before service, and, when I give it a gentle throttle it tries to ‘cut out’ and the traction lights flash.

I tried to ride through it but thought this is going to cut out so I backed of to a cruise and it felt as if it was either missing a spark or dodgy fuelling.

I took it back to dealer and he rode it- obviously it was fine.

- I said thanks for checking, perhaps it was me fitting a new lithium battery Somehow??

Of course as I left the yard it happened as soon as I gently accelerated up a rise.

I again returned to the dealer and he put it on his diagnostics but there no errors showing.
-he thought it may be speed sensor related
-but admitted he’s totally puzzled.

He suggested if it happens again to turn the traction off and that would eliminate the speed sensor issue?
I turned the traction off in sport (as suggested) and it still did it.. honestly definitely not hard acceleration Or spinning up... it was probably 4-5k revs.

So I rode home gently and it didn’t do it again but I tried not to accelerate..it’s ‘ok‘ but it’s definitely not as smooth as it was pre service.

I’ve got the old battery to put in,

...but in the belt service is there anything that may get knocked or damaged that could cause this intermittent fault?

To say I’m a bit p****d off is an understatement!

It stumbled as if it was a fuel problem and the traction light flashed up (but absolutely no traction issues at all. I’d know if I was trying to spin it up...)

...any ideas please..?

😔

·
Registered
443 Posts
You getting a check engine light warning? Does the problem disappear or do you have to turn the bike on and off to get going normal again?...sounds like the throttle unit thingy is going wonky...but...if it clears on its own without restarting...then it's still good...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Under it's previous owner, the dealership installed the horizontal belt off by one tooth on my bike, then tried to correct it by maxing out the pulley adjustment in that direction. Honestly I wouldn't let a dealership fill up my fuel tank. They'd find a way to royally muck even that up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi,
I decided to put my bike in to the official dealer for the belts and a good check over with fluids for peace of mind..🙄 and to get an official stamp in my book!

Its 6 years old with a very suspect history prior to me buying it just before Xmas.
Yet only 10700k’s and mint condition.👌

But now.. bike runs ‘ok’ but nowhere near as nice as it did before service, and, when I give it a gentle throttle it tries to ‘cut out’ and the traction lights flash.

I tried to ride through it but thought this is going to cut out so I backed of to a cruise and it felt as if it was either missing a spark or dodgy fuelling.

I took it back to dealer and he rode it- obviously it was fine.

- I said thanks for checking, perhaps it was me fitting a new lithium battery Somehow??

Of course as I left the yard it happened as soon as I gently accelerated up a rise.

I again returned to the dealer and he put it on his diagnostics but there no errors showing.
-he thought it may be speed sensor related
-but admitted he’s totally puzzled.

He suggested if it happens again to turn the traction off and that would eliminate the speed sensor issue?
I turned the traction off in sport (as suggested) and it still did it.. honestly definitely not hard acceleration Or spinning up... it was probably 4-5k revs.

So I rode home gently and it didn’t do it again but I tried not to accelerate..it’s ‘ok‘ but it’s definitely not as smooth as it was pre service.

I’ve got the old battery to put in,

...but in the belt service is there anything that may get knocked or damaged that could cause this intermittent fault?

To say I’m a bit p****d off is an understatement!

It stumbled as if it was a fuel problem and the traction light flashed up (but absolutely no traction issues at all. I’d know if I was trying to spin it up...)

...any ideas please..?

😔
do you have tire calibration on the 2014 model? when i flashed my ecu for a recent exhaust upgrade my bike (2019 1200s) felt weird (not as smooth), did i tire calibration and it felt much better after. in my case, it may have been reset by the ecu flash, maybe your new battery did the same?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You getting a check engine light warning? Does the problem disappear or do you have to turn the bike on and off to get going normal again?...sounds like the throttle unit thingy is going wonky...but...if it clears on its own without restarting...then it's still good...
No other lights I dash except the “traction control stripes‘ flash as the stumbling happens. It’s very strange. I’m riding along then it feels as if it’s going to stall, the traction flashed then it picks up again.
- as I said, the stealer put it on his diagnostic machine but he said no errors. So I rode off and it happened within 500m....?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Have you recently changed the sparkplugs? Check the horizontal cylinder plug wire and be sure it's behind the secondary air hose and then run your hand along it's length to see if the radiator fan blade hasn't cut into it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spark plugs all good...
‘but,
I appear to have totally blocked breather pipes in fuel tank. This could cause the bike to show my symptoms..!
Out of curiosity I checked that I could blow through these as this may cause a vacuum if blocked.
I backtracked from the hose behind the the radiator to the ‘y’ piece and it (the y )was solid with rust..
I tried to blow through with an airline and eventually got the ‘y’ clear with a drill bit, but the two hard pipes inside the tank are solid with ‘rust’. I’ve cleaned all the rubbers but am stuck as to how to clean the ‘tubes’ inside the tank.
These breathers take an immediate 90 degrees so I can’t poke anything down them and the airline doesn’t do anything..
-Any ideas how to clean the internal breather pipes inside the tank...?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Its probably not blocked...think your blowing into a check valve...even when you run out of fuel you don't get any dash lights...you just stop...if your not getting an error code...and your tank is rusting? Clean up your ground wires... disconnect and reconnect things...without an error code your flying blind...it's probably something stupid...so start with anything your absolutely sure it's not...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts