Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am curious what others are using to mount there cell phones or gopro to the bike. Ive used Ram mounts for both on previous bikes and am unsure what the best option is for this bike. If you can share pics of what you use. Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
That's what I use for my phone on my 796. The 1200 should use the same M8 screws.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have used several versions of RAM mounts in the past, both on bikes and planes. They do work well, but I found them to be somewhat clunky appearing. In a plane, that is no matter, however on a bike, if appearance is also a consideration, I suggest including http://www.techmounts.com/ as a better option.

I have also tried to machine some RAM components to re-purpose them and was surprised to see that there were air pockets in the castings. They appeared to be a very low grade of cast Aluminum, but I am not a metallurgist. On the other hand, the TechMounts are billet.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I got them in today. What did you torque it to? My dealer said they had to get back to me because the mechanic for Ducati left early.
25 Nm or roughly 18.5 lb/ft on my 796. I would assume the same on yours.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I have used several versions of RAM mounts in the past, both on bikes and planes. They do work well, but I found them to be somewhat clunky appearing. In a plane, that is no matter, however on a bike, if appearance is also a consideration, I suggest including http://www.techmounts.com/ as a better option.

I have also tried to machine some RAM components to re-purpose them and was surprised to see that there were air pockets in the castings. They appeared to be a very low grade of cast Aluminum, but I am not a metallurgist. On the other hand, the TechMounts are billet.
Wow. Those look really nice. I may look into those instead of the RAM that I've got. Do they vibrate less than the RAM mount?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Probably the same, however I don't recall vibration with either.

I will confess to being a misguided amateur machinist and the TechMount I currently use for a Zumo GPS mount is my copy of their design. Amateur machinists never shy away from spending way too much time reproducing something easily and economically purchased. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Im pretty sure the x-grip is the issue with my set up. I think the other cell phone mount would be more sturdy but it doesn't accept phones with cases and I'm too lazy to take my case off every time I want to use the mount.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
It looks like you've got a case on your iPhone. Which mount and bracket are you using? I was under the impression that the only way you get a phone mounted with the case was with the x-grip. I like your set up a lot.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Awesome. I'll be adding that to my Christmas list. Haha. Thanks a bunch, man.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
25 Nm or roughly 18.5 lb/ft on my 796. I would assume the same on yours.
Thanks. The dealer called me today and said the same thing 25 Nm

1 - 20 of 22 Posts