Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned before the 04 calendar was done, I thought we should do a calendar with each month a pic of one of the clubs started here on the DML. Well, thanks to the newly formed Lone Star Ducati Club, that makes 12 clubs on the DML. (12 clubs, 12 months, see where I'm going with this!) I would like to suggest that each club take group photos this riding season or rides, meetings or events and submit your favorite ones for next years calendar. Then we can give each club a month on the calendar and we can all see who we get and give advice to/from on a daily basis. Just a suggestion. Anyone else agree??

X

·
0 Posts
Re: 12 clubs, 12 months...do I hear an 05 calendar

Sounds like a great plan, I just have to move to a place that has a club so I can get my picture in the calender! (actually a plan is in the works) Or make my own club.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

Naw, can't make your own club....that's make 13!

In fact, Jeff would have to refuse to recognize any new club for the next 10 months!

Other'n that, I like the idea!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well, technically, the more clubs to start up and register here the more reason to do a 14 or 16 month calendar. Just start it earlier.

·
Registered
137 Posts

I'm in! when do you need pics and where do I send 'em? Just tell me how to join the NYC group so I can qualify.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts

me too... who's the one that wants to get this together? Looks like RedDuke should head this up by default?

I can get the SFBMHA photos together...

maybe someone needs to point a thread over to the Club Forum thread b/c there are NO posts on this thread!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I realize that I am the one with the idea, but I don't have the means to put it together. I can check around and try to find a place to do it, but there is no guarantee. I'll look into it.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts

it's pretty easy... we can use the previous DML calendars as templates. I can make a powerpoint version and convert it to PDF.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts

is this thread dead or what? last post on this was 5 days ago.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts

we should post really crazy **** here and see if anyone notices... seriously though, I'll put together a club calendar if you guys can send in the photos.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

When would you want the pics by? Being here in Chicago we're gonna need warmer weather before we bust out babies out of hibernation.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts

we can make a "dual" calendar... same as before (like the ducati monster calendar)... only problem is the voting part. maybe use the same rules as the other calendar? we'd have to clear it with Higgie though...

either that or i think it needs to come out sooner ... forgot how many clubs we currently have.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I thought each club could submit their favorite group pic and that would go in the calendar. I saw a flyer in a pizza place by my house for a place that prints calendars for ya. I'll have to run back up there and check it out. I was definately thinking about it for our group, and figured let's make it a whole DML thing.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts

i'll ask Jeff first if it's ok - after that, I'll post a message on the club boards.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts

Sounds like a good idea to me. I may have to ride down to the Hill Country to get in the picture though. That would be horrible. ;)

·
Banned
3,931 Posts

You can tell how often I read this particular forum by how quickly I jumped on this thread. (It had to get mentioned somewhere else first. ::) )

I think this is a great idea to get one photo from each Monster club.

However, for a calandar I'll be hanging in front of me and looking at multiple times every single day, I want a photo that I'll enjoy looking at the whole month, not something I'll be sick of by the 5th of the month. The photo for February 2004 in the current calendar qualifies and it looks like March will be good too. There were a few last year that I turned over a few days early because I was just tired of them.

My concern is that I've rarely seen a group photo that was compelling enough for me to want to look at it for a whole month. The photo below is an example. Over at http://www.sfbmha.com we generally post photos from every group ride and this is one of the better ones with Monsters in it. However, the bikes are small enough in the overall photo that you can't see too many interesting details on the bikes and I don't especially like looking at group photos of people I don't know.

I propose that each club have one main submission and two smaller submissions of whatever they want. It might be a single member's bike, it might be at a stop on a group ride, it might be an action shot from a group ride, or whatever else, as long as a Ducati Monster appears somewhere in the photo. Once the club has settled on their submission, they make it available for comments from everyone else who will then offer suggestions, praise, rude remarks, or what ever seems appropriate. If they're satisfied they stick with that photo, or if not, they try to come up with something better. Have a deadline for the clubs to come up with their first candidate, then another deadline, possibly months later to settle on the final photo submission. It takes some of the mystery out of waiting for the overall vote talley, but we will probably have better overall quality doing it this way.

If any overall DML voting takes place, it would only be for "awards" in a few special categories, like best overall calendar photo, best group shot, and so on. It would be a matter of pride to be the club that rated best calendar photo and we could all make fun of whichever club came in last place in the voting. ;) These "awards" would be printed right on the month the photo goes with.

You would probably need to accept about five votes each so the largest club isn't guaranteed to be the winner and the smallest the loser.

This idea has the potential for generating a great 4th Monster Calendar.

SFBMHA ride photo, for discussion purposes:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Not to sound rude or anything, but your idea totally defeats the purpose of this specific calendar idea. If you don't want to look at something that isn't "compelling" enough for you, then don't partake in the calendar. I thought this would be a really good way for everyone to see the bikes (and maybe even the owners) that we have read stories on, received tips from, joked with, disagreed with, etc. If you just want to look at photos that you like, make your own calendar of just your bike. I would really enjoy seeing pics of all size and color monsters from all over the country. If I am the only one that feels this way, well then there's nothing I can do about it. But I think I may be in the majority on this one.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

I usually stay away from these club forums, since I don't belong to "any" club.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts

Okay, nobody likes my ideas. That's fine.

I'll go back to ignoring this whole group and hopefully you'll come up with something that the rest of you are happy with.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts