Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is important enough for me to find my password for.

I've noticed the Ducati site has been updated, with no mention of a black 1098. As this will compliment my 750 Dark perfectly, I need it (Monster content obligation fulfilled).

So, I've sent an email to Ducati asking for the 1098 in Black or Dark. One email doesn't make much difference, however there is might in the many.

Ladies and gentleman, lovers of the Black and Dark, please send Ducati emails requesting same.

Thanks
Mongo

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
i seriously doubt they'll field a dark 1098, as historically the darks have been the low-end model, without the trick bits.

as to them making it in black... time shall tell.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
the production of 1098 starts on dez. 9. only red colored bikes will be produced. black will follow later (think spring 07)...

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
ducatizzy said:
the 748/749 came in dark, but the 99x did not.

imho, if an 858 comes out, there will prob be a dark.
748 never came in dark. The only colors besides yellow and red that the 748 was offered in was the Senna colors (titanium w/ red wheels) and the silver neiman marcus 748L.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah nuts!!! I'll be 36, and I'm running out of time!!!!

I figured they wouldn't do a 1098 Dark (maybe get rid of the tach and one of the front rotors ;D?) but come on, how hard is it to just shoot it in black?

I'm sure they have leftover black paint lying about - I've noticed they use the 948/996-98 radiators and steering dampeners on the 1098, though this is probably a cost-cutting measure.

Crap!!!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I doubt they'll make a "dark" version of the SBK. Their long term plan only stated they'd keep a single entry level machine (the M695) and everything else would be a premium (ala the MTS1100. No 695 or dark to be offered).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
superjohn said:
I doubt they'll make a "dark" version of the SBK. Their long term plan only stated they'd keep a single entry level machine (the M695) and everything else would be a premium (ala the MTS1100. No 695 or dark to be offered).
I'm fine with plain glossy black. My 750 has that on the frame, fender, and beertray. Which I've never really figured out: three different kinds of black on one bike.

Group Buy on Black 1098's anyone?

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
i'm glad to hear there'll be a black one at some point. i really prefer it.

and for the millionth time it's "damper". ;D

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
maybe you buy it in red and just paint it black, with that red frame black bodywork would look awesome.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
yes you could, all the 999 models. but what's that got to do with the 1098 coming in black?

·
Registered
5 Posts
mongomakefit said:
Ah nuts!!! I'll be 36, and I'm running out of time!!!!

I figured they wouldn't do a 1098 Dark (maybe get rid of the tach and one of the front rotors ;D?) but come on, how hard is it to just shoot it in black?

I'm sure they have leftover black paint lying about - I've noticed they use the 948/996-98 radiators and steering dampeners on the 1098, though this is probably a cost-cutting measure.

Crap!!!
Dude just buy one and paint it a non-glass black. Dupont makes a great paint for bike plastics. Very flexible. Make it custom, make it YOURS.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice shot Petzi!

Elpato, though I excel at the wrenching my paining skills have a great deal of problems. See, e.g., the SBK fender I have on my Monster I "tried" to paint black. And painting a new $15k bike just seems wrong. Not to mention the issues with the stickers. On the other hand black tiger stripes may look good. I've also noticed temporary paint at the auto store. But anyway.

No response from Ducati re my pleas for a black one.

·
Registered
298 Posts
petzi said:
would look like this (ok the frame is still red...)
That looks sweet! Flat black would be killer! I would leave the frame red.

·
Registered
541 Posts
mongomakefit said:
I'm fine with plain glossy black. My 750 has that on the frame, fender, and beertray. Which I've never really figured out: three different kinds of black on one bike.

Group Buy on Black 1098's anyone?
Special edition DML 1098's

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Allrighty Ducati got back to me:

With reference to your e-mail, I would inform you the 1098 is currently available in the color scheme you’ve seen on our web site exclusively ( http://www.ducati.com/od/ducatinorthamerica/ ). Please, rest assured your comments have been duly forwarded to the proper dept: they will be seriously taken into consideration.

Meanwhile, I would inform you any change in the above mentioned color scheme can be carried out only after purchasing the bike. For further details on this matter, I kindly invite you to contact your local Ducati Dealer; indeed, the professionalism and technical skill of our staff will be at your full disposal for any technical information and advice you may need.

So, after I buy it, they'll take it to Maaco Italiano for paint?

Now that's a dampener. Send emails, you Monster slackers: [email protected].

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
I prefer red, and then yellow, both with gold frame and wheels as seen on the tri-color.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
and for the millionth time it's "damper".
The damp mist was causing the damper to get damper and damper, in spite of which it still helped dampen the steering, as it had been correctly installed by he who installs dampers, the damperer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts