Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 M900 and was thinking about running a tank of 104 pump race fuel. Is this a bad idea? Has anyone done this to their monsters? I have used the same fuel in a Honda CR250 motorcross bike, but I am not sure if this is a good idea?

Thank you in advance.

You gotta love the smell of race fuel!!!!!!

Jack

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Jack,

I'll try to make this easy.

Unless you've done some serious mods to your bike to bump the compression way up, 104 octane ain't gonna do much but smell good coming out the pipes.

Search the board. A number of threads are here regarding this very issue.

And yes, I like the smell as well ;D

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
My thoughts exactly... ;D

wjack's probably wondering "WTF, why's everyone so jumpy?"

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
This has got to be a record, 5 posts in on an octane thread and all flamethrowers are still in the holsters. ;)

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gentleman-

I am sorry for my lack of knowledge on using this site. As you can tell I am still new to this. I am learning from my mistakes and thank you for keeping the flamethrowers at bay.

Thank you.

Jack

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ciao Jack !

welcome and keep them questions coming in.

Such a good people here to share the best stuff.

Skier

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Jack, welcome to our board. sorry about the replies to your first question, and thank you for maintaning your sense of humor. there are many octane threads on this board. check them out and cvome to your own conclusion.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You gotta love the smell of race fuel!!!!!!

Jack
I have no comment on the octane business :p

However, I have to agree that race gas and avgas, sadly, both smell an order of magnitude better than mogas. Another inappropriate fave: Castor oil. Half a pint of it in your crankcase, you'll REALLY smell like an old-timey racer. Great stuff. :)

(WARNING: Half a pint of castor oil in your crankcase may or may not cause ring and/or bearing failure, high oil consumption, birth defects, male-pattern baldness, and/or religious fundamentalism. The author of this post neither advocates nor discourages the use of castor oil in a Ducati.)

M.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Gentleman-

I am sorry for my lack of knowledge on using this site. As you can tell I am still new to this. I am learning from my mistakes and thank you for keeping the flamethrowers at bay.

Thank you.

Jack
Jack, feel free to ask questions. You just happened to pick one subject that has been furiously debated several times, so it got our attention...... ;D

It does take a while to get used to this BB, and get to know where and how to find info. Glad to have you here.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Does anyone here work at NASA? I wanna try some rocket fuel in my monster....
Two types: liquid hydrogen (LH2) and kerosene (RP-1, actually just a tighter spec than commercial kerosene). LH2 is something like -400 degrees F, and would give you a fraction of the range of gasoline. It also has an octane of about 55, assuming your fuel system didn't freeze up immediately. If you got it running, it would eventually corrode your tank and lines.

RP-1 is fancy jet fuel, somewhere between gasoline and diesel. It, too, has poor octane, since jets and rockets light up once and never stop. And it would lean you out and smoke badly, since your carb needle/injector nozzle aren't designed to atomize it.
Rene Carlos, NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got me there - technically the lh2 is the fuel and the lox would be the oxidizer. ;D

of course you could pack your tank full of an epoxy paste of rust, aluminum, and ammonia perchlorate found in the thiokol solid rocket boosters... my guess would be that a leaking battery would be the least of your worries after you lit that off.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the other octane thread is locked but I wanna comment and say that it was an awesome read. I learned a lot. I even had a fight with my brother in-law who owns a car shop(he has like 20 years exp fixing cars) and he stoutly defends the higher octane=more hp. After reading a fair amount of web sites on the subject I see what octane is used for.

Thanks for all the great info.
Mike

·
Banned
551 Posts
have to concur (word a day calendar) - that octane thread was hilarious. When I saw how long it was I never thought I would have read it, but there were some outstanding replies in there.

thanks for the info and entertainment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts