Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual on my ‘07 S2R800 says use “minimum” 95 octane fuel. Has anyone used any race fuels like 100 on this bike?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Unless you specifically need higher octane than what the manual calls out for (like modifications to forced induction or increased compression ratio) it will be worthless. The best octane for any engine is the lowest it can use without causing detonation.

And if you're in the USA, you don't need 95 octane. We use a different method of calculating octane so the number is actually lower. 91-92 should be fine, maybe even lower like 89 honestly, depending on the bike.

·
Super Moderator
3,948 Posts
First of all, that rating of "minimum 95 octane fuel" is by the European method of measurement -- in the U.S. that's 89 octane.

Second, high octane gas does not improve the performance one tiny little bit of engines that are not designed for using it. It does not have any more energy in it than low octane fuel. It can be squeezed harder without detonating, so engines that squeeze their mixture harder than normal (e.g. high compression, or turbo/supercharged) need the higher octane rating, and benefit from using it.

Putting anything more than 89 octane in your Monster is just flushing your money down the drain. It can even cause minor damage through carbon buildup, in engines that are not designed to use it. When I bought my first Monster, an M900 in 1993, I put 93 octane in it, thinking that was wise just in case. The first time I had the heads off, at 122K miles, they were all coked up, and my mechanic said to quit using premium and just put in regular 87. So I did that, and it solved the carbon buildup problem, and worked great for the next 143K miles.

PhilB

·
Registered
145 Posts
I try to use ethanol free as much as I can which I think is 90. If not, I just use regular. The bike runs fine either way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I try to use ethanol free as much as I can which I think is 90. If not, I just use regular. The bike runs fine either way.
The station I use that has ethanol-free gas had theirs listed as 90 octane for a couple years. Then last fall it changed to 92. Still ethanol free. Both work, and neither cause tank expansion so I'll continue to use whatever ethanol-free gas I can find as long as it isn't something like 87 octane.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I will use any ethanol free that I can find regardless of octane. I figure I never run it empty so I always have a mix of fuels in the tank anyway. I’m guessing it will run better on ethanol free

·
Registered
226 Posts
I use only ethanol free since reading about the tank swelling issues. There is only one place here in Indianapolis that sells it and its reasonably close by and its 91octane. I have 3 5gal VP jugs that i fill up and just leave in the garage. Run my other bikes also on it due to ethanol added fuels drys out the o-rings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I actually had issues with my M1200S stalling at lights or whilst slowing down quickly with clutch in. Turns out it was the 98 octane I was using in it. Switched back to 95 and its fine again.

·
Registered
102 Posts
In the name of science, I’ve experimented with:

87 grade
89 grade
92, 93, 94 grade fuels.

I’ve also dumped a full bottle of 104+ Octane Boost in a full tank of 93 grade fuel. I’ve actually done this a few times.

And then the one time I went to the track a few years back, I used whatever grade race fuel they had on site after my fuel light went on.

Is there a benefit? Sure, if your goal is to throw money away - you’ll notice your engine runs a little smoother and the throttle is slightly sharper. It cost me $30 to fill my tank full of race fuel and it costs $10-$12 for a bottle of 104+ Octane Boost. A full tank of 93 typically runs me $9-$12.

Do you reap anything in return for the added cost? No. Just stick to mid grade and premium fuel. Unless you want to experiment then by all means have fun! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
594 Posts
In the name of science, I’ve experimented with:

87 grade
89 grade
92, 93, 94 grade fuels.

I’ve also dumped a full bottle of 104+ Octane Boost in a full tank of 93 grade fuel. I’ve actually done this a few times.

And then the one time I went to the track a few years back, I used whatever grade race fuel they had on site after my fuel light went on.

Is there a benefit? Sure, if your goal is to throw money away - you’ll notice your engine runs a little smoother and the throttle is slightly sharper. It cost me $30 to fill my tank full of race fuel and it costs $10-$12 for a bottle of 104+ Octane Boost. A full tank of 93 typically runs me $9-$12.

Do you reap anything in return for the added cost? No. Just stick to mid grade and premium fuel. Unless you want to experiment then by all means have fun! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm with you 100%. No real benefits whatsoever unless you've gotten into engine mods well above and beyond the average consumer level stuff. I will however have to say, Sunoco 260 GTX (98 Octane, 0% Ethanol, Non-oxygenated) works well in average well tuned high performance street motors. Not well enough to justify the cost by any means. However, just the smell alone is worth every bit of that $13 a gallon.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm with you 100%. No real benefits whatsoever unless you've gotten into engine mods well above and beyond the average consumer level stuff. I will however have to say, Sunoco 260 GTX (98 Octane, 0% Ethanol, Non-oxygenated) works well in average well tuned high performance street motors. Not well enough to justify the cost by any means. However, just the smell alone is worth every bit of that $13 a gallon.
There're charging $13 a gallon for 260 GTX? Somebody getting rich. I can get it here for 7.65 a gallon. Agree with the smell. I usually just run the 91 octane ethanol free. Its around 2.50 a gallon right now.

·
Registered
594 Posts
There're charging $13 a gallon for 260 GTX? Somebody getting rich. I can get it here for 7.65 a gallon. Agree with the smell. I usually just run the 91 octane ethanol free. Its around 2.50 a gallon right now.
You might be referring to the 260 GT. That's the 100 octane stuff they sell out of the pump at some of the stations. 260 GTX is completely different.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You might be referring to the 260 GT. That's the 100 octane stuff they sell out of the pump at some of the stations. 260 GTX is completely different.
Nope, It is the 260 GTX 98 Octane. I bought a 5 gallon jug back in early Oct. As the price fluctuates I think the most I've ever paid is about $8.70 a gallon.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Nope, It is the 260 GTX 98 Octane. I bought a 5 gallon jug back in early Oct. As the price fluctuates I think the most I've ever paid is about $8.70 a gallon.
Dang, that's pretty good. I've never seen it in sealed containers for that price. It's been a couple years, but a local distributor sells it on the side for $10 a gallon cash, and that's way better than you can do anywhere else. I usually only ride about 8 months out of the year, but when I ride, I ride. As in filling up once or twice a day. I usually keep 5 gallon jugs on hand because I'm just not really a fan of filling up at the station unless absolutely necessary. Still too rich for my blood. Kind of sad though really, the aroma 260 GTX definitely has hints of the unicorn tears, sea turtle eggs, printer ink, or whatever gives race gas it's distinctive essence. But really to me, it just reminds me of filling up the family car or the lawnmower as a kid. Pump gas used to smell good. Now to get basically what we paid 60¢ a gallon for, it's "Racing fuel"

·
Registered
226 Posts
It's actually out of the pump. Browns Oil Service here in Indianapolis have many different grades and types. I just take my VP jugs and fill them up.

·
Registered
594 Posts
It's actually out of the pump. Browns Oil Service here in Indianapolis have many different grades and types. I just take my VP jugs and fill them up.
Cool. You're probably just not allowed to put it directly in the tank of your street legal vehicle. I wish there were more places like that around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts