Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual on my ‘07 S2R800 says use “minimum” 95 octane fuel. Has anyone used any race fuels like 100 on this bike?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Unless you specifically need higher octane than what the manual calls out for (like modifications to forced induction or increased compression ratio) it will be worthless. The best octane for any engine is the lowest it can use without causing detonation.

And if you're in the USA, you don't need 95 octane. We use a different method of calculating octane so the number is actually lower. 91-92 should be fine, maybe even lower like 89 honestly, depending on the bike.

·
Super Moderator
3,919 Posts
First of all, that rating of "minimum 95 octane fuel" is by the European method of measurement -- in the U.S. that's 89 octane.

Second, high octane gas does not improve the performance one tiny little bit of engines that are not designed for using it. It does not have any more energy in it than low octane fuel. It can be squeezed harder without detonating, so engines that squeeze their mixture harder than normal (e.g. high compression, or turbo/supercharged) need the higher octane rating, and benefit from using it.

Putting anything more than 89 octane in your Monster is just flushing your money down the drain. It can even cause minor damage through carbon buildup, in engines that are not designed to use it. When I bought my first Monster, an M900 in 1993, I put 93 octane in it, thinking that was wise just in case. The first time I had the heads off, at 122K miles, they were all coked up, and my mechanic said to quit using premium and just put in regular 87. So I did that, and it solved the carbon buildup problem, and worked great for the next 143K miles.

PhilB

·
Registered
110 Posts
I try to use ethanol free as much as I can which I think is 90. If not, I just use regular. The bike runs fine either way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I try to use ethanol free as much as I can which I think is 90. If not, I just use regular. The bike runs fine either way.
The station I use that has ethanol-free gas had theirs listed as 90 octane for a couple years. Then last fall it changed to 92. Still ethanol free. Both work, and neither cause tank expansion so I'll continue to use whatever ethanol-free gas I can find as long as it isn't something like 87 octane.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I will use any ethanol free that I can find regardless of octane. I figure I never run it empty so I always have a mix of fuels in the tank anyway. I’m guessing it will run better on ethanol free

·
Registered
86 Posts
I use only ethanol free since reading about the tank swelling issues. There is only one place here in Indianapolis that sells it and its reasonably close by and its 91octane. I have 3 5gal VP jugs that i fill up and just leave in the garage. Run my other bikes also on it due to ethanol added fuels drys out the o-rings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts