Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping I would not need to move up to 100, but the monster I just bought (with high comp pistons) suffers bad pinging running on premium... The previous owner lived in Arizona and was able to buy 100 octane unleaded at some 76 stations. Does anyone know if there's a source in the los angeles area (preferably west LA)? Unfortunately I rent so buying a barrel and putting it in the garage is out.

Thanks for any advice!

-Steve

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Unless the previous owner put 13:1 pistons in there, you don't need 100 octane. Check timing and/or carbon build up (probably from running 100 octane!!).

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Norm, thanks for the tips. I'm going to call the shop that did the piston installation to be sure what's in there (my buddy's a great guy, but shy on details; when I ask which pistons are in there the best he can do is "the high compression ones"), and I'll check the timing/carbon situation.

-Steve

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Most high comp drop in pistons are about 11.2:1, I run some VeeTwo 12:1 pistons in one of my bikes & still use pump gas.

D

·
0 Posts
76 Pico and Bundy...they have 100 at the pump at $5~$6/Gal if I remember correctly.

T

·
0 Posts
If you can't find 100 octane you could always try spiking your fuel with touline. I've never used it in bikes, but it's always worked well with turbo cars I've had. Do a search online for touline

D

·
0 Posts
I know there is one at the end of the 110 in pasadena for about 5 bucks a gallon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts