Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one regret using the kit and wish they had left the tail on, or did it another way or used different kit. IM sitting here with a saw contemplating wether to start cutting or not

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Don't regret losing the stock but I wonder if I shouldn't have gone with the shorty. It can depend on your exhaust what looks best. The problem is you might change your exhaust in the future.

Keep the piece of frame. You can always go back. It only takes $.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have not done it but did think about it and rejected the idea.

Having restored some bikes in my life I know the frustration of trying to bring a bike back to stock that has been "modified" (I'm being nice) by P.O.s.

I actually like the beer tray, I think it flows nicely with the design of the bike. I like the looks of the chopped Monsters too but, I'll never do mine.

I agree with keeping the cut off piece, it is reversible. Would require welding, grinding, filing, sanding and repainting...not too terrible.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
No regrets here. I had the same reluctance to do the chop, so I didn't do it until I was sure I wanted to do it. Once it was done, I liked it and I don't really think about it anymore. It's only when someone without a chop comments on it and it's usually "I should do that to mine". :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
The only "regret" was when I discovered you can't ride the bike in rain.

Well, you can, but you get major swamp ass. The tail deflects water. Without it, that rooster-tail of water goes right into your crack.

However, I don't ride the monster in the rain much now. Depends on your riding.

I love the look, but I might have considered a "half-chop" if I had known.

A friend of mine suggested making a longer license tag bracket -- so that it sticks out further and lower from the bike. That would capture mroe water.

That's the only regret, which isn't a real regret I think. If youdon't ride wet, it's not a concern. If you do, take a look and see how much you can get away with and keep the water out of your BVDs

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I had some serious doubts about cutting the frame, not really about losing the purt but most because
I didn´t want it to be as short as the bike looks with a full chop.

My solytion was to semichop the frame, I sawed off 70 millimeters and reshaped the DP beertray so it
could be forwarded about 50 millimeters.

May seems little but I was happy with the result and had no regrets about the cutting.

This is how it looked:

Some more details here: http://web.telia.com/~u41816991/

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Wanwo said:
Don't regret losing the stock but I wonder if I shouldn't have gone with the shorty. It can depend on your exhaust what looks best. The problem is you might change your exhaust in the future.

Keep the piece of frame. You can always go back. It only takes $.
I'm in the same boat, and I'm thinking about the DP carbon short tail, but I can't seem to find a good picture of it anywhere on the web. Unless it's a fair bit shorter and better looking than stock, I probably won't do anything, as I'm not a huge carbon fiber fan.

I think it all looks good, chopped, shorty, unchopped. There was a time I thought the stock Monster tail looked like a hideous afterthought, but upon reflection, I think Ducati got it pretty right and set it up for an easy mod to make the thing look really racy if you want to go that route. I'm still debating what pipes to put on and I want to decide that before I decide on the tail.

For those of you who did the Clear Alternatives integrateds, can you really see those turn signals from a distance during the day? I'd like to do that, but I like the safety of drivers knowing where I'm heading.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does any one have pictures of the dp shorty from a side or top view so we can really see what it looks like? Thats what I was worried about is the rain thing. I live in oregon and sometimes you start to get the itch to ride and you stop careing about the rain.

·
Registered
68 Posts
dukatea said:
The only "regret" was when I discovered you can't ride the bike in rain.

Well, you can, but you get major swamp ass. The tail deflects water. Without it, that rooster-tail of water goes right into your crack.
Anyone else have a similar experience?

I ride my bike all the time I can, but I don't like the idea of getting wetter then I need to be. With that said, how is your ass getting wet from the rooster tail that should be about a foot and a half behind you?

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Yes you will definitely get "swamp ass", even with the shorty tail. I modified my stock beer tray to fit like a shorty and it offers little or no protection in the wet. I think the "draft" behind your body sucks the roostertail onto your back.

·
Registered
0 Posts
MS4RS said:
Anyone else have a similar experience?

I ride my bike all the time I can, but I don't like the idea of getting wetter then I need to be. With that said, how is your ass getting wet from the rooster tail that should be about a foot and a half behind you?

Cheers,
The best that I can tell is that there is just enough water thrown up on the pillion cowl that runs down onto the rider seat. without the extended tail, the rooster tail isn't a foot and a half behind you, it flies straight up into the brake light assembly.

I am still looking into making a differnet plate bracket which would catch some of that, but i have othre projects and i don't ride that particular bike in the rain (much).

·
Registered
204 Posts
Old-Duckman said:
I actually like the beer tray, I think it flows nicely with the design of the bike. I like the looks of the chopped Monsters too but, I'll never do mine.
+1

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
kaiser552 said:
Does any one have pictures of the dp shorty from a side or top view so we can really see what it looks like? Thats what I was worried about is the rain thing. I live in oregon and sometimes you start to get the itch to ride and you stop careing about the rain.
here's a top view... looking for others now...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I'm thinking maybe I can attach a shorty tail to my already fully chopped tail. There's a short cf tail in the accessories catalogue without indicator holes (don't need them, got the integrated light). I'm considering changing to the Termi's which are kind of longish so some extra tail might look good.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
I bought mine with the tail chopped and think it looks great (lo mount pipes) although when I ride through a puddle or a section of wet road, I get spray all the way to my helmet. Also I have a great section of speedy twisties close to home wich peak at a gravel parking area and after pulling in to check the view there are usually 5 or 6 small stones collected on the seat. Now that I think about it I'm glad it was done already as I find it difficult to choose form over function. There is definately a trade off with this mod. :p

·
Registered
0 Posts
What would be very nice is if some vendor would make a tail chop kit with a enduro-type hugger mud guard.

The Gran Canyon is a perfect example -- it would work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
is there not a longer rear fender to help with this?

·
Registered
0 Posts
MS4RS said:
is there not a longer rear fender to help with this?
not that i know of -- all the rear fenders on the regular monsters stop at the top of the tire and the SSS bikes' fenders are very small.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts