1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know of 600, 620 & 750 w one front disc but has anyone
any experience of it on a 900?
Just been thinkin bout one good quality disc & a 6pot
caliper w really good pads, could this work on a 85Hp/175 kg bike?
What say you 600, 620, 750 who had both one & two discs?
Pros/cons?
Disadvantages w one disc?

GreenMonster

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Re: 1 disc expirience

If you pony up for good parts you can probably generate as much braking power with one disc as you can with a lower quality 2-disc arrangement. You should probably be looking at some sort of iron floating rotors and perhaps the 4 pads from brembo... or if you want to go all out get at radial adaptor and get one of the radial caliper setups seen on the higher end bikes like the 1098 and S4Rs.

In theory you'll have plenty of brake for steet application. Heat might become an issue under race applications, since you're making that one rotor do more work - thus is will get hotter, faster.

The advantage is you'll shed a good bit of unsprung weight. Unsprung weight is the best to be loosing since no matter what, you're suspension has no compensatory effect on it.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts

My thought would be that the 900 really doesn't get a bunch more top end than the 750, and really doesn't weigh that much more either. Those would be the two factors I'd worry about in selecting a break setup. Breaking performance wouldn't care how fast the bike acclerated.

Bottom line is I'm putting a 900 motor in my single disc 750 this winter, so I can let you know how it works come summer time.

Justin

·
Registered
6,266 Posts

I know of a guy who has onlyone disc on his S4. Albeit he put on one of those amazingly cool CMC rotors from Braketech. Says it stops just dandy, also weighs lots less.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts

Bergweiserus has a 904 motor in a 750 chassis (single front brake). I think he put a ductile iron rotor on.

Maybe he'll find this thread and offer his expertise.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts

MonsterDuc said:
Bergweiserus has a 904 motor in a 750 chassis (single front brake). I think he put a ductile iron rotor on.

Maybe he'll find this thread and offer his expertise.
And a radial master. He said he loves it.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Just so you know, my single front disk with just high friction pads will stand my m750 on it's nose just fine.

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
We are testing some metal matrix rotors on a couple of Ducatis right now. They weigh about 1.5 lb less each than OEM and have feel like iron rotors. These are about 1/2 the price of CMC rotors ( about $600each) and include special pads. They come with a lifetime warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Ha Ha Gerd ---- I knew it. First you're talking about larger exhaust pipe diameters and now better brake calipers, etc. ----- You still have the bug don't you? (Like I don't ::))

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just so you know, my single front disk with just high friction pads will stand my m750 on it's nose just fine.
What are those? EBC HH or what?

Ha Ha Gerd ---- I knew it. First you're talking about larger exhaust pipe diameters and now better brake calipers, etc. ----- You still have the bug don't you?
Yup! ;D Or like a friend of mine says: Now the real bike season starts (winter modding)!

So none tried 6pots?
Main problem w one disc is possible overheating/warping?

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
They're just ebcs. I just bought a new master though, and plan on getting an iron rotor.

Justin

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Another point to consider is that the entire brake load will be on the bushings in one fork versus two. Might prematurely wear out the one side's fork bushings.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Duck-Stew said:
Another point to consider is that the entire brake load will be on the bushings in one fork versus two. Might prematurely wear out the one side's fork bushings.
That a bit true, I wouldn't say the entire load though. The axle should do a decent job of distributing the load a bit. Most cruisers just have one rotor, and they don't seem to wear one fork faster than the other.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I know one guy who has a single disk (cast iron brembo) and a radial brakepump
If you could find a monoblock brembo calliper i think it will brake like hell
I have some 8 piston spieglers and the do the job quite nice

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting Chromo! Any more info of it? Special gauges, swing etc.

This looks so clean:

Wonder if any caliper would work w this EBC semifloating, not cast iron,
300 mm disc?

·
Registered
752 Posts
greenmonster said:
Interesting Chromo! Any more info of it? Special gauges, swing etc.

This looks so clean:

Wonder if any caliper would work w this EBC semifloating, not cast iron,
300 mm disc?
Swing is by Febur ,it's a direct fitt on an older type monster but so much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
supertjeduc said:
He give me a break (how is your dutch) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
[thumbsup] [clap]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts