Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 696 last week off Craigslist that has been sitting for a couple months because the previous owner lost the keys. So, I will get new keys shipped to me on Tuesday, and I'm not so naive that I assume it will just start right up.

Other than the battery needing replacement/recharge, what else should I be thinking of in preparation for Tuesday? Do I need to use the Ducati battery charger, or will another more generic one work? The bike is clean and looks brand new so I hope there won't be much to deal with.

I am fairly new to Ducati and motorcycles in general, but have some friends that are helping me out so I don't feel totally lost.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated!

The bike is under warranty.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'd be kind of careful, that story sounds a bit fishy.
a. he loses both keys.
b. he does nothing about it for months.
c. and then conveniently decides to sell it.

Do you actually have a clean title in hand? What kind of assurance do you have if the thing starts up and sounds like a coffee can full of marbles? Has a dealer taken a look at it?

Be careful, it would be a shame if you had to post an "I got scammed on craigslist post".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realize I took a risk here. Yes I do have the title in hand, and have stayed in contact with the seller since. He has assured me that he will take care of any issues with the bike if there are any, once I get it started.

I too hope to not turn out to be a fool in this endeavor.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I really didn't answer any of your questions, now did I.

If the battery is stone cold dead, a small "battery tender" type charger is not going to be enough. You really need an automotive type automatic charger that puts out something in the 6 to 10 amp range.

It also couldn't hurt to do an oil change. It will also give you a chance to look at the old oil to see its condition.

There are a lot of guys out there who will tell you to spray some oil in the cylinders and turn the motor over by hand to pre-lube a bike that has been sitting a while. It may be overkill here since I don't think a couple of months really counts as a while.

·
Registered
10 Posts
IMHO....do NOT use a Car Charger on the battery unless it is removed from the bike. A friend burned up his Stater and Voltage Regulator/ Rectifier by using a 10 amp charger on his bike without disconnecting the battery from the bike. Don't jump it with a car either...same could result...and the parts aren't cheap ! I'm no expert, but if a Battery Tender doesn't bring it back...toss it and get a new one ! IMHO ! Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts