Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is the issue: simply when riding for any length of time and mattering not how hard I ride there will come a point it stalls as slowing. An example today (ambient temp 55) after riding for about 30 minutes the engine shut down as I was slowing for a stop sign. Pull in the clutch, lights on the dash come on and no sweet thump thump from the cans. The odmeter just clicked over 3000 miles. I discussed it with the shop at 2800 miles and was told that there was no issues being reported by DNA! Any clues would be appericated.

Mike

·
Registered
203 Posts
Have you added an exhaust? If so have you reprogrammed the ECU? Could be a lean issue...just a shot in the dark

·
Registered
24 Posts
this is an issue that should be fix by ducati under warranty, no matter what your dealer says there've been issues with bikes stalling, not only 1 but a couple of different models, it could be cam timing related, ecu related, engine related or just a fine tunning by somebody who understands the system, if your dealer cannot help you call ducati customer service or another dealer, or just pm me, don't know where you're located but I can probably help you or just tell you who in your area is worth the time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
check idle control.. im assuming yours is injection.. if it is it should have an idle control, im not too familiar with your model but it should be a stepper motor. if it were cam related you would get a misfire as its not variable timing. hope this helps :)

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Mine did that until the first service when I told them about it, they said that the throttle position sensor just needed to be reset. And since then it's been fine. My 749 did the same thing. Maybe its a Testastretta issue.

·
Registered
74 Posts
been having an ongoing problem with this too on an S4Rs.... just as you are about to shut the key, it does it for you.

it also have a 'cough', where it seems to be a backfire coming out the front.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
That's exactly what mine used to do.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Had a similar problem on my S4Rs just a few days ago. Ended up the front plug lead/coil wires had rubbed through on the frame. Could be worth a look.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'll check it. mine used to shut off once in a while originally and they fixed that, but the last time it wouldn't restart. They replaced my regulator, and reset tps, for what's it worth. So now it runs but about the same as before. With an occasional spitback.

...but as far as original post goes, I think it's a lean thing too and just needs that adjustment screw on the right side of the bike tweaked. If you have additional issues then it might not be as simple as just turning that screw

·
Registered
74 Posts
I sent this to my dad (with a Tricolore) and he said the following:

"I read the article and my comments refer to both his problems and yours. As they may be the same or similar.

It seems that the fuel / air ratio is maybe a little off or needs an adjustment. When you get a backfire (which is what a cough is) through the air filter or intake manifold, that means that the engine ignition is firing (the spark plugs) before the intake valves are fully closed.

This is also caused by whats called pre-ignition or detonation; ie: the engine is so hot that glowing (carbon deposits ) are causing the fuel /air mixture entering the cylinder to explode before the spark plug fires. If your engine temp gets very hot and you have a lot of carbon built up on the valves , heads, etc. this can occur with destructive results.

It can also occur from running fuel that 's too low on octane. Your compression ratio on yours (and mine) bike is 11.4 / 1. This is quite high; car engines with that high of a compression ratio back in the 70's required Sunoco 260, which was rated at 110 to 112 octane rating (but it was leaded/dont use in your bike). You're running pump gas (premium fuel at 92-93) octane. This could be causing the your problem, especially if the engine is running lean and hot .

Note; your electronic ignition should automatically adjust to this problem by retarding the spark timing and that's maybe why your engine would seem to pause or slow down for an instant, then recover(?) One solution to this would be to have the fuel /air ratio adjusted to a little more on the rich side; a richer mixture will cool the engine down and handle the low octane fuel that you have to buy.

You could also wait until your tank is almost empty , go out to the airport at Pompano Beach and buy 1 gal of 100 low lead aviation gas and add it to one gal of of punp gas and see if it eliminates your problem. It will run better than before but the test would be to see if it stops the coughing. You would probably have to do this a couple of times to really do a test. That's why I would only mix it 50/50. This mixture would give you an octane rating of approx. 96 octane. 92 +100 = 192 divided by 2 = 96.

Another would be to adjust the timing to less advance by a degree or two and see how that reacts. Finally, I wouldn't do anything (except the gas thing) until you change the exhaust system with the full termi system; this may all go away when you do that."

·
Registered
1 Posts
so I have the same problem as well...

Hello. I purchased a 2009 monster 1100 back in oct. Since then, it has been at two different shops here in Los Angeles for the stalling problems. It happens at random times...Always in the downshift from 3rd gear to 2nd. When the clutch lever is pulled in before the shift happens, the motor dies. Both shops cannot replicate the problem and I was told to keep a log book of every other time it continues to stall. It has now been 12 separate accounts that it has stalled since. I have spoken to the Ducati customer service dept. and they want to send out someone to a shop and look at my bike. Along with this problem, my bike has a "cough" too, a sort of back fire under my gas tank. So I will take it in and keep you all informed as to what will happen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts