Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moving up from my S2R this spring, but can't decide. I really dig the pearl white and was set, then the charcoal S4R showed its face. Now my buddy is trying to talk me into the 1098, but I am still in love with the monster. Monsters are still far sexier in my mind.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
I'm with Statler and think the suspension is worth the price difference. With respect to color, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. FWIW, I have the pearl/red S4Rs and love it. Awesome bike.

Stuart

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
At first I didn't want to admit the suspension was that much better, but as I piled up the miles it finally hit me how awesome the Olins really are. After increasing rear height 25mm and dropping the front yesterday by 8mm I am absolutely convinced. This thing is like it on rails and rough pavement and bumps that would have had the old s4r behaving badly doesn't faze the s4rs at all. With 5600 mi. on it now, I'm way impressed.

LA

·
Registered
262 Posts
Partial to the S4rs myself. Rode the S4r and then the RS, I was sold. When you start dreaming about riding it again, its the right fit!!!! I bought the red and still drool when i walk past it in the garage!!! :eek:

·
Registered
444 Posts
If I could've afforded the S4RS I would be on one, but the jump was too much for me, so I got a S4r AND that was only after calling in a favor and getting a bunch of money knocked off the sticker price.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have an S4rs (black w/silver stripe). I think The suspension is well worth the added price. You could paint the bike for less money then the added cost for the Ohlins.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
not only is the suspension a bargain considering the aftermarket price of full ohlins, the S4R Testastretta actually has a *downgraded* rear shock from the old S4R (it's now Sachs instead of Showa) and no TiN coating on the forks. IMO there is no good reason to buy a S4R Testastretta. if you can afford a $13.5K bike, you can afford a $15K bike that is actually a far better, and safer, value.

·
Registered
262 Posts
+1. If you ride both, you will buy the S4RS. Over the long haul(and I owned my last bike for 14 years) you will be happier buying the better bike!!! Work some OT, get a part time gig, pimp yourself out, whatever it takes....Tessie is worth it!!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
chopperbill said:
I have an S4rs (black w/silver stripe). I think The suspension is well worth the added price. You could paint the bike for less money then the added cost for the Ohlins.
my thoughts (and situation) exactly. The S4RS setup is a bargain when you look at the price of adding on the Ohlins fore and aft. As for the 1098- I still don't see the fascination. If you really want a bigger motor get an S4RS and put a big bore kit on it.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I got my Rs end of March 2006 and to date I´ve racked up 16,000km (10,000miles) and all of them have been ace! To me the Rs was worth purchasing for: engine, suspension, looks and to a certain extent exclusivity. The 999 monoposto at the time didn´t come with neither Ohlins suspension nor radial brakes.. to get what I really wanted all round in the SBK would have led me to get the 999s at 22,000EUR instead of the under 18,000EUR I paid for the Rs with DP Kit etc.

As LA says, if you can afford 13,500 you can afford 15,000.. I think so anyway.

You won´t regret it.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
For me, no bike is worth $17+k which is what the S4Rs would have been OTD (MSRP). I disagree with the idea that if you can "afford" a $13k bike, then you can afford a $15k bike. $2k is $2k, and it's more a question of spending the money on what you value.

The $15k OTD tag of the Testastretta was almost more than what I would be willing to pay for 2-wheels, but I couldn't get over the looks, engine, + intangibles combo.

I've never had Ohlins, or any upgraded suspension, so the Showa/Sachs feels just fine to me. Some might say it's just a case of ignorance being bliss, but I don't think I'll be regretting my '07 S4RT purchase any time soon. I would have considered Ohlins on my R1 or other track bike, but that's just not why I bought the Monster.

That's the nice thing about the Monster, they come in so many different price increments, you can pick what's best for you.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
If you buy the S4R, how much you gonna spend on stuff like pipes, CF etc ?

All that stuff is crap, garbage, bullshit compared to getting the suspension right. Go for the S4Rs with the Ohlins.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
How much are you going to spend on exhaust etc on your S4RS? just as much as the guy on his S4R. Unless you're taking the bike to the track or outride everyone in the twisties, the Ohlins is probably overkill. Probably 85% of people aren't pushing their S4R suspension hard enough to need an upgrade. Sure it's shiney and you can say "I have full Ohlins suspension" and on paper it's better, but it sure wouldn't sway me any. I'd never drop that much coin on a bike. Of course, I wouldn't spend 14.5 either.

That's just me.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
vwboomer said:
snip... Probably 85% of people aren't pushing their S4R suspension hard enough to need an upgrade...snip
Bullshit. You can feel the difference immediately as an average street rider. Bumps that upset other bikes are soaked up. Two clicks compression makes a difference. Two clicks rebound make a difference.

I say this not to be rude, but to tell riders who think they won't feel a difference that they will. Don't sell yourself short. I think 95% of people can feel the difference. Nice suspension is not just for pushing the bike hard. It can be set up for a variety of riding styles and make the experience significantly better.

Know that quick pogo when you turn in, the bike settles, and then does one weave when the suspension rebounds too quickly and your line changes? Gone.

know that sharp ripple in the pavement on your favorite on ramp that shoots a sharp jolt through the bars and seat? Gone.

My personal philosophy is that these are toys. Get what you want, but if 13K hurts then please don't be one of those guys who posts up that the maintenance is outrageous later because you didn't budget for that.

If the extra 2K is not worth the suspension and a few carbon goodies to you then fine, but don't post up and tell me it's not worth it to me either. If one did nothing but commute on the highway to work it would be easy to tell the difference in the legs and shock of this bike.

And yes, I've ridden them both.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
ducatania said:
If you buy the S4R, how much you gonna spend on stuff like pipes, CF etc ?

All that stuff is crap, garbage, bullshit compared to getting the suspension right. Go for the S4Rs with the Ohlins.
I think a louder exhaust is one of the most important safety features. I'll add an exhaust, have the bike tuned, and eliminate the fender. Would have been the same as for the S4Rs.

The stock suspension is plenty "right" for many (maybe even most) people. Always had Showas on my liter I4's and never felt the need to upgrade, even with the twisty riding. Showas are far from garbage. Again, there's obviously an improvement with the Ohlins based on what I've heard & read, but it's not a necessity for everyone.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
If both bikes were the same price, damn right I'd take the Rs. Perhaps I shoulda said that :D I'm sure I would notice the difference in suspension as well. And maybe, if I lived in an area with canyons and unlimited twisties I might consider it. At least, a used one.

To me it isn't worth the extra $$$. If I had the extra money or didn't have a car and a truck and another bike to work on, maybe.
Besides, I can't ride year round so it's an even worse investment in my eyes. I don't even wanna test ride an Rs in fear I'd have to eat my own words. >:D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.