Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bike: '06 s2r800 under warranty.

ok, i am mystified.... i ride my bike regularly this time of year since i am in socal. so the chronicle of events is: i ride it one day, come home, park it, shut garage. next day, go to start it and the bike is dead electrically-- no response whatsoever when the key is put in. check it with battery tender and it says that the battery is not chargeable. take battery to dealer and they are able to get a full charge on it overnight. i bring it back and get it in the bike (strangely, the screws for the battery seem to not thread.... question about this below). once in, i try and start the bike. it turns over but i have a heck of a time getting it to idle even with the choke. it just keeps cutting out. finally get the thing warm (to 50 degrees) and try to run it lightly in my parking lot. seems ok until i get the rpms up to maybe 3-4k and it starts lurching.

does this make sense to anyone? i am not very mechanical... not lots of experience outside of the basics. i was surprised that when i went to put screws in the battery terminals the screws did not have a nut or anything securing them to the connections. is this common? (i can't imagine it is but it is not as if they were there and i lost them). could it be an intermittent connection to the battery? please let me know what other information would be helpful. i appreciate the help. thanks.

also, i suspect i will get it to a dealer tomorrow, but wanted to see if this sounds familiar.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, i am getting the impression that the connection on the battery terminals is intermittent and that is causing the trouble. for the life of me there weren't any nuts securing the terminal screws and yet the screws will not thread onto the terminals. how is everyone else's terminals screws threaded onto the terminal? thanks.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
There is a nut that the screws go into. They are very easy to lose when removing the battery. Not sure where you would get replacements...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts