Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local dealer is offering a good deal on the remaining 06' S4R. I tried the S4RS and know what its worth, but have no idea how "slow" the S4R would be. I know all about the spec differences, but need some solid advise. Thank you all very much.

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
the S4Rs is an awesome bike,i'd love one, those radial brembos, ohlins suspension, yummm..........
i own an 03 S4R and have had it since new, i love it too and my circumstances don't allow an upgrade at the moment. the S4R is definitely not slow! if you can afford the RS go for it, if you're not the sort of person that has to have the latest and greatest and would rather spend the difference on an exhaust and some personal touches, and still have change, the S4R won't dissapoint. both bikes in standard trim have a higher top speed than most will want to go. and mine accelerates hard enough for me thank you very much.
must be terrible being troubled by such a dillemma ::) ;D
cheers,
paul. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks so much, love to hear that.

loony888 said:
the S4Rs is an awesome bike,i'd love one, those radial brembos, ohlins suspension, yummm..........
i own an 03 S4R and have had it since new, i love it too and my circumstances don't allow an upgrade at the moment. the S4R is definitely not slow! if you can afford the RS go for it, if you're not the sort of person that has to have the latest and greatest and would rather spend the difference on an exhaust and some personal touches, and still have change, the S4R won't dissapoint. both bikes in standard trim have a higher top speed than most will want to go. and mine accelerates hard enough for me thank you very much.
must be terrible being troubled by such a dillemma ::) ;D
cheers,
paul. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
If you can afford the Rs, go for it. You won´t regret it. I´ve enjoyed every single minute on my Rs. And once you´ve tried a bike with Ohlins, you´ll see what all the fuss is about.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Rs - you're actually getting a great deal on the Ohlins and radial brakes. If I remember correctly, the price differnce between the two bikes is like $2000? You'd end up paying double that if you wanted to upgrade the 4R to Ohlins and radials.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I thought the price difference would be more like 4 or 5 grand?

regardless, I would pick the S4R
the s4r is the last bike with the desmoquattro motor. I love that motor. it definitely has it's faults, but it has more personality than the newer motors. the 996 motor is very befitting of a bike called "monster"

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Well you definitely need to practice better throttle technique with the S4Rs compared to the desmoquattro S4R. It's just more snappy, the brakes, the power, handling, everything about the S4Rs is more precise and more powerful. The motor feels like all the bearings in it are roller bearings. It just wicks the power up with no effort. I can't say you should use any of the upside that the S4Rs has on the street though.

In some ways I miss my S4R. I could be a little more lazy riding it home after having ridden it for a couple hundred miles in the twistys. The S4Rs seems like it demands your attention at all times. And the range is slightly longer with an S4R I've found because the tank is a bit larger. And I can't stand the plastic tank on the Rs. It scratches easily and I just don't like the feel of it.

I guess I shoud take my S4Rs to the track to better familiarize myself with it and truely tap it's potential. Then I could know what it's limits are when I ride it on the street. It really is a different bike than the S4R. But that's why I bought a GSX-R 750 initially as I didn't want to wad up my S4R at the track. Then a deer chose take me out in the woods and totalled the S4R.

·
Registered
117 Posts
S4RS owners .02c

The S4RS is a bargin when compared with The S4R. As previously mentioned the Ohlins are top shelf and add Over $2000.00 to the value of the bike. There are some CF pieces included as well. The engine is amazing, very smooth, lots of usable torque from 4K up. Depending on your comfort level you can stay under 8500 and ride the bike all day. If you choose to take it up to 11K the acceleration is on par with 1000cc sportbikes. With the Termi/ECU upgrade the redline on the S4RS is higher (11,000) not sure about the stock redline.

My engine has gotten much smoother since the 600 mile service, especially down low. The bike is nearly perfect-I plan to change the handlebars to the multistrada "s" type (magura) which hopefully will raise them just a little. A Sargent seat is also an excellent addition. If you can't afford the S4RS new a nice used S4RS can be had for $12-$14 range-sometimes with allot of modifications already in place. Either way you will enjoy the testa... motor. Best of Luck

Attachments

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I would suggest riding the S4R and then making your decision. This is not something you can do on paper. A new S4R (not an S4R testastretta) should be around $10,500 at any decent dealer. Also the stock S4Rs has nothing on the S4R until you spend the $2000 on the Termi kit. Then it is a very different animal indeed. Just take that into consideration when you compare prices. The character of the 2 engines is also different and some people prefer one over the other. So, again you really need to try both and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks all for the advice! I will ride a friend's S4R and see whats the difference. Will report back when it stops raining.

silentbob said:
I would suggest riding the S4R and then making your decision. This is not something you can do on paper. A new S4R (not an S4R testastretta) should be around $10,500 at any decent dealer. Also the stock S4Rs has nothing on the S4R until you spend the $2000 on the Termi kit. Then it is a very different animal indeed. Just take that into consideration when you compare prices. The character of the 2 engines is also different and some people prefer one over the other. So, again you really need to try both and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yo should be able to find great deals on a Desmo S4R now that the S4RS is out. You can take that money you save and make it your own and not be in the "cookie cutter" S4RS crowd [laugh]

Myself.....I'm going to wait for the 1098 S4RR

Wild Bill said:
I went to the dealer and saw a red 06 S4r for 10k and a 07 white/red S4Rs for $14,999.00, bought the RS for $13,500 out the door... there was no question in my mind!
I'm glad you did Bill.
We don't need another blinged out S4R around here. [thumbsup]
Now you've got to stay off the ground to enjoy it next season ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.