Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fired up the bike after months of down-time and it immediately gave out an insane clacking rattle in the clutch box that went away after like 10 seconds. Gambling a bit, I actually rode it for a few miles (it worked fine), then parked and cracked open the case to discover what looks like a detonated spring of some sort.

The weird thing is that I don't see anything out of place, not the retaining screws, not the caps, nothing. The diameter of the shattered spring is also larger than the holes for the clutch springs.

Before I keep tearing this down to find out what's wrong, does anyone have an idea what I might be looking at?

TIA!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,590 Posts
Originally I thought it was a clutch plate spring but all your bolts are in place. Good luck with the search.

I would suggest if nobody answers to look at Ducati Omaha fiche for your bike. They will have an exploded parts diagram for the clutch side and you might figure out that way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Just to be sure, I took the clutch springs out verified that they were there and totally different.
Flipped through the shop manual and found nothing like what was in there.
Only guess now is a shady shop squeezed it in during maintenance so that it would one day detonate and create more work.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Just to be sure, I took the clutch springs out verified that they were there and totally different.

Flipped through the shop manual and found nothing like what was in there.

Only guess now is a shady shop squeezed it in during maintenance so that it would one day detonate and create more work.
You have the clutch main springs...then there are two more under the pressure plate area....outside of those the only other spring I saw in the parts diagram was in the oil pump....if the spring came from within the clutch pack...how in the world did it get out?!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have the clutch main springs...then there are two more under the pressure plate area....outside of those the only other spring I saw in the parts diagram was in the oil pump....if the spring came from within the clutch pack...how in the world did it get out?!

There are 3 under the pressure plate, if we're talking about the same thing. And in any case, none of them are anywhere near the same size. I'm thinking this doodad was set not in the clutch pack, but squeezed between the housing and the cover. There simply is no plausible source.
Otoh, there's no markings anywhere showing rubbing or even scars from when it shattered. Very very strange.

·
Registered
292 Posts
There are 3 under the pressure plate, if we're talking about the same thing. And in any case, none of them are anywhere near the same size. I'm thinking this doodad was set not in the clutch pack, but squeezed between the housing and the cover. There simply is no plausible source.

Otoh, there's no markings anywhere showing rubbing or even scars from when it shattered. Very very strange.
..... perhaps....a...sabateur...dun..dun..dun...parked in a safe place?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts