Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backstory:
I purchased this bike cheap several years ago and at that point it had not been used in 5 years. It had loads of add ons, including an Arrow exhaust. I cleaned the fuel injectors and replaced one, got the clutch plates unstuck, replaced the gas, shot some oil on the cylinder walls, changed the fluids, and she started right up. The bike was always rough from 3-4k RPMs, but worked great outside of that range, even when cold.

Fast forward a few years and the bike would not hold idle. After an incorrect diagnosis at the local Ducati shop, I replaced the CPS and that problem has gone away entirely. Then COVID hit, the local hospitals reached capacity, and I stopped riding for a year while the bike was on a battery tender. Since then I've replaced the gas, added Techron to help the injectors and resumed riding.

Problem:
Now the bike stumbles even more between 3-4k RPM, seems less powerful overall, needs 2 minutes of warm up before I can ride it. If I try to ride it when cold, the bike is unable to avoid dying when I very slowly let the clutch. Additionally, sometimes within the first minute or two the throttle doesn't respond. Please help my get my giggle generator from Bologna working again!

My WAG as to the problem:
I think the problem is fuel/air mixture related as the Duc makes a strong spark. Still, how do I test this?
Perhaps the fuel injector that wasn't replaced is going bad?

·
Registered
207 Posts
hey come join Ducati S2R 800/1000 owners on facebook . oh answer the damn questions
soo thats the s2r1000 . i ride an 800 . maybe someone there has a guess.

lose timing belts? 5mm hex key test
lose battery cables?
lose fast idle lever
with that open exhaust what fuel management system is on the bike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey come join Ducati S2R 800/1000 owners on facebook . oh answer the damn questions
soo thats the s2r1000 . i ride an 800 . maybe someone there has a guess.

lose timing belts? 5mm hex key test
lose battery cables?
lose fast idle lever
with that open exhaust what fuel management system is on the bike
Belts are fine.
Battery cables are fine.
Previous owner changed the fast idle switch for a fast idle button. It seems to work well as a fast idle lever.
I used stock fuel management from the stock ECU, but I can try flashing a new map.

If anything, the bike smells like it could be running a bit rich. If I had confidence in my local Ducati shop, I'd bring it there. After they bungled a relatively simple CPS diagnosis, I don't want to give them another $250 for a diagnosis.

Maybe its time for me to start a Facebook account.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Spark Plugs are cheap, Put a new set in, fouled plugs will still give a spark when grounded,
Only to break down under pressure and heat.
It's quite common when bike sitting for a year, the valves are open, well some of them, moist air gets in and corrodes the electrodes.
I replace my plugs every year even though it's ridden all the time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Problem:
Now the bike stumbles even more between 3-4k RPM, seems less powerful overall, needs 2 minutes of warm up before I can ride it. If I try to ride it when cold, the bike is unable to avoid dying when I very slowly let the clutch. Additionally, sometimes within the first minute or two the throttle doesn't respond. Please help my get my giggle generator from Bologna working again!

My WAG as to the problem:
I think the problem is fuel/air mixture related as the Duc makes a strong spark. Still, how do I test this?
Perhaps the fuel injector that wasn't replaced is going bad?
During routine maintenance, Ducshop figured out mine had a bad relay to the ignition coils that was causing rough idle, and me needing to keep the choke (idle adjuster) higher than normal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Let us know where you are located and maybe someone will have a recommendation for a local shop.
I'm in San Diego but don't mind riding up to an hour or so away to get it worked on. I don't mind throwing $500 at the bike to get it right, but don't want to spend more than that. At this point if someone gave me $4,500 for the bike I'd take it. Between the carbon fiber mudguards, Ohlins steering damper, Brembo radial M/C's, billet triple clamp, Cycle Cat clip ons, Sato rearsets, Ohlins shock for the S4R, oversized Ohlins forks, Brakes from the 998, Braketech rotors, stainless steel lines, full Arrow exhaust, comfort seat and rear seat cowl, it better be worth that much!

My current plan: change the 8+ year old fuel filter, reflash the stock ECU map, reset the TPS. If the problem persists, take it somewhere.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
TLDR: Bike was running lean. The shop enriched it, and it runs like a champ. If your bike is running terribly, all of your maintenance is up to date, and you are getting a strong spark and fuel, take it to a shop and have them adjust the mixture.

Update: I replaced the fuel filter and the issue persisted. Took it to a repair shop that found the mixture to be too lean and said he enriched it and that it runs OK now. The fuel pump checked out fine and the compression was good. I pick up the bike today.

This is my best guess at the problem's source as things are now: When the previous owner put on the Arrow exhaust (no cat), and K&N, he also enriched the mixture. Later, my CPS started going out, causing the bike to run very badly. I took it to a shop that mis-diagnosed it as a bad ECU. Because of the diagnosis I reflashed my ECU to stock and did a TPS reset, which lost the enriched mixture. I also replaced the bad CPS. The CPS issue went away (whoo hoo, the bike stopped randomly dieing and ignoring my throttle inputs occasionally!) but it was replaced by a mixture issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts