Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have extensively searched the other threads similar to this and have not seen anything exactly like the trouble I'm having.

I have a 2003 Monster 620 that I recently purchased. The previous owner installed a new battery just a few months ago. When I first got the bike, I didn't have any issues. Now, 2 months later, when I press the starter, I hear the fuel pump spool up and then it just clicks. If I hold the starter, sometimes the RPM's will jump up to 5-6K on the tach but it still doesn't start.

I have tried starting in neutral and first, with and without kickstand. I have tried rolling all positions on cold start lever. I have checked all of the connections and they appear to be in good shape.

Any advice? Thank you!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think you may have a bad connection samewhere check battery leads again, it could be corrosion at the fittings.
The same thing happened to my M750 turned out to be corrosion between the battery earth lead and the lug, soldered on a new earth lug, all good again.

Jack

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 2003 620ie died at about 5000 miles (but over 4 years old). It didn't do ANYTHING when pressing starter, so probably different then your issue, but it was the ECU.

It started with my Tach needle dying. Then several weeks later after a few days garaged it didn't start. I thought it was the bat, but after much diagnoses it was the ECU. Once I replaced with a $1500 after-market kit it ran perfectly and the Tach worked as well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
before buying a new ECU, some people have had success in this case by unplugging the ECU, waiting a few minutes and plugging it back in, and/or disconnecting the battery waiting a few minutes, and connecting it back up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts