Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did the search found alot about older bikes but not the newer engines. seems the horizontal base gasket is leaking, just above the oil cooler lines and going behind the belt cover for the same cylinder. anyone been inside one of these engines? any things to know prior to teardown? anyone know a good ceramic coater for the exhaust near richmond, va? thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
I would check the seal for the layshaft that runs the cambelts before I went too much further.

G

·
and the crankcase breather. My base gasket has been leaking for about 2 years now. I am finally goign to fix it myslef later this month. While I'm there I'm adding a few cc's >:D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and the winner is..........................................

the layshaft seal! [thumbsup]

the oil is coming from behind the twin belt pulleys, then running along the rib to the end of the horizontal cylinder. the belts are not oil fouled, just replaced. i reviewed the factory manual, and maybe missed it, but it doesnt show a layshaft seal.

ducpainter- have you replaced this seal? can it be replaced without taking the cases apart? is this normal for a 32k mile seal?

pt33- the crank breather has been leaking, replaced today after chasing the oil leak.

i will go to the dealer tuesday to see how much the tools cost, and see what they can offer for replacement info. will keep everyone up dated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.