Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a great ride through the mountains a couple days ago, I put my bike away a happy man. The immobilizer light was working when put away, but went out after 24 hours. Turning the key now only gets the whine of the fuel pump priming. There is no dash response at all nor do the headlights come on. I've checked the main fuse and all fuses in the box. I've manually inspected the main relay but have not found a testing procedure (have voltmeter). I'd like to test it before replacing and also solicit other ideas on what could be causing the sudden issue. I pulled the dash and checked connections. Replacing it reset the immobilizer light but no other change when attempting to start. Thoughts?

Cappy

·
Registered
633 Posts
I had a similar issue, though iirc it was totally dead, though the battery checked good. In my case it turned out the guy who installed the wiring harness at the factory installed the zip ties too close to the connectors. When the zip ties were pulled tight they partially disconnected various connectors which resulted in a dead bike. It didn’t show. Try pushing all the connectors back together from both sides. I cut all the zip ties, unplugged every connector, lubed them, and plugged them together a few times. I checked for corrosion on each one. I believe it was my main fuse connector that was my main problem. It’s up by the battery on the right side.
I also cleaned all the connectors to the ecu with electrical cleaner and cotton swabs, very carefully.
I also added a second ground from the ecu ground point to the point on the frame where the battery grounds because the factory grounded the ecu to plastic on my S4RS. Plastic is not a good ground.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply Duc96cr. I'll check and clean contacts as a next step.

As an update, I swapped the two relays next to the battery with no change. From another post I understand these are the fuel pump and ECU relays. Both had some corrosion so I'll replace them. That post also referred to an ignition relay. Does the '03 620 ie have that relay? If so, can anyone point me to it? I can't find it in my parts diagrams. Other data is that the passing light, horn, and brake lights work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem solved for now. A continuity test found a faulty fuse (15A tail/nqs/pilot). I replaced it, the bike started, but the fuse blew again. I had worked on the headlight and suspected a short in that area. I pulled the light and the next fuse held. I could not find the culprit, but cleaned contacts and connectors resulting in reliable starts for now. Key lesson was to test the fuses. The fault was not visible. Thanks again Duc96cr for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts