Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I bought a used 03 620 dark ie (I believe that it is fuel injected) about a year ago as my first bike, and it had been problem free until a few months ago. I'm not sure if the problem is related, but in mid-July I had some Remus CF exhaust (not the full system, just the cans) installed. About a week later, I got off of work and when I tried to start my bike, everything seemed fine when I turned the key (fuel pump primes, dials move accordingly, etc.) but when I pressed the start button, all I got was a click. One click per button press until the immobilizer cut it off (about 5 - 10 seconds.) Then I turned everything off and turned the key again with the same result. One click per ignition button press. I can say that the click was originating from what I believe to be the solenoid (in a small black plastic case on the right side of the bike about knee high.) I pushed the bike to a garage for the night (I work in San Francisco) and went home. The next day, I went to check it at lunch and it started fine. I tried it again that evening and again it started fine. Everything was roses for the next few days, but when the weekend rolled around, the same problem occurred.

After reading this list awhile and listening to recommendations from other riders (and being that my bike was about 3 years old), the first thing I did was get a new battery (a new yuasa replacement; the old one was the same model). The problem seemed to be gone for a week or two, but it came back not long after.

The bike is not under warranty and my experience level with repairs has been limited to such things as levers, foot pegs and lenses (things that break when people knock your bike over). I've taken it into the shop (Munroe Motors in SF), but the problem is so intermittent that it didn't happen once when I left it there over a two day period. They mentioned it might be the starter motor and that the brushes may need to be replaced. This may explain the intermittent issue. Then again, maybe not. I've also tried to wiggle the wires around the handlebar a bit but this doesn't seem to effect anything. Could the solenoid be slowly going bad? Could it just work occasionally?

I'm not averse to trying to fix this myself, but I don't have much of a space to work on the bike and my experience with electrical is extremely limited (to almost none at all.) I can leave it somewhere to evaluate, but damn if I don't hate the bus in San Francisco. I just want to get back on the road, so if anyone can help or give some advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Josh

·
Registered
29 Posts
did you solved the problem?¡ I have the same thing going on

I have a 2002 620ie and it stop once at an intersection, then started again and from that point the key won't kill the engine just the red kill button and then the lights remain on, but when I turn the key to OFF the clocks do turn off but the lights won't and I can not start the bike again until I disconnect the main fuse and reconnect... and of course I have the main fuse in my pocket or else the light won't turn off! any clues?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts