Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me state up front that I always appreciate any and all help. I would consider this a pretty big job for me and I was hoping to finish it without asking for help. Definitely going to cut and customize a couple more tools for reassembly. This bike is absolutely bananas to work on :)

First question. After prepping the sealing surfaces I noticed one crankcase oil hole that does not seem to serve a purpose. The metal gasket has a hole for it but the cylinder does not and it will be sealed shut when I put the cylinder back on. This confuses me. Am I going crazy or what!

Second question. Where do the metal washers go and which way does the flat side face? When I removed the vertical cylinder excess coolant was leaking everywhere and metal pieces were just falling everywhere.

Third question. Going to clock the piston rings and I noticed that the bottom oil rings were together as one piece. They seem to be attached together as one ring. Cannot find anything about this on the web. Is this normal and if so, which way should I face the gap?

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I found the answer to my first question. Originally I thought that the infamous oil galley leak was inside the crankcase with pre-2001 bikes. Apparently I have a different infamous oil galley leak that needs to be tapped and plugged. Can anyone confirm? Does this sound right?

·
Registered
32 Posts
First question: you’re not going crazy, the crank cases are shared with other models that do use that hole. Your leak is likely from an O-ring. If the ring is damaged, replace it. If it isn’t, grease it before you put it back together.
https://www.ducatisportingclub.com/archive/index.php/t-16281.html may help.

Second question: the opposite end to the round end faces into the cylinder. Hope that makes sense, should be obvious when you come to put them back on the studs.

Third question: hope this extract from the manual helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Centium for answering my questions. After doing a little more research I found out that my year does not come with an o-ring like previous years did. I am the first person to pull the cylinder as far as I can tell. Ducati seems to be allergic to sealant because I could barely find any trace of their crusty red stuff from the factory.

The preferred method of fixing this useless hole seems to be plugging it once and for all. I threaded a grub screw and filled it with JB weld for extra assurance. Grub screw+JB weld+Gasket sealant should be more than enough.

Interesting that Ducati uses a kind of 3 in 1 piston ring. I don't have a lot of experience with engines but I just thought it was interesting. Thanks again for the response Centium.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts