Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All - I've got a 2002 620 Dark, close to 16K miles. Had this bike for 15 years.
Went out for a ride this afternoon and the bike suddenly died at a stop light when the light turned green and I shifted into 1st.

The immobilizer light flashes but I get no cluster sweep/activity when the key turns to the ON position and no other signs of life.

I had a similar issue once before and thought it was the battery - swapped it out for new and still nothing - turned out it was one of the two relays adjacent to the battery, I guess the ignition relay.

Found a replacement online from dpguzzi.com (www.dpguzzi.com/relay.htm) and ordered 4.

Things have been fine for a couple years... Until today.

Trouble is I swapped both relays again for the 2 spares that I had from last time and I still have no electrical.
Checked the fuses and no issues there, battery is also fine.

Anything else I should check?
Does anyone know where else I could source these relays? Maybe my spares are no good either.

I'm stumped! :(

·
Registered
594 Posts
Did you check the connector for the ignition switch? You've got good sealed connections throughout the bike and yet for some reason on the ignition switch they use a crappy plastic unsealed, undersized connector. Plus it's located in a place that's completely exposed to the elements.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I had a similar issue. Turned out a wire had pulled out of the connectors just enough to not make good contact because Giacometti had put the wire ties too close to the connectors at the factory. I went over the whole bike, cut off every connector, pushed them all back together from both sides. Fired right up . I zip tied the wiring back further away from connectors. I believe my issue was actually the main fuse by the battery, but I did the whole bike, also cleaned grounds, also ran a ground wire from Ecuador ground to main battery frame ground, just because.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I had a similar issue. Turned out a wire had pulled out of the connectors just enough to not make good contact because Giacometti had put the wire ties too close to the connectors at the factory. I went over the whole bike, cut off every connector, pushed them all back together from both sides. Fired right up . I zip tied the wiring back further away from connectors. I believe my issue was actually the main fuse by the battery, but I did the whole bike, also cleaned grounds, also ran a ground wire from ECU ground to main battery frame ground, just because it was a shitty ground location.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you check the connector for the ignition switch? You've got good sealed connections throughout the bike and yet for some reason on the ignition switch they use a crappy plastic unsealed, undersized connector. Plus it's located in a place that's completely exposed to the elements.
Thanks for the advice.
I went this morning and tried again with the "new" relays and this time I heard one of the relays clicking rapidly, almost like a crackling noise. So perhaps the relays are bad, or maybe there's some other grounding issue?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yeah, those relays usually last a long time. Both of them are activated directly from the two smaller wires coming out of the ignition switch and grounded from the ECU. The wiring from the ECU is direct with no connections. Since what you're describing sounds like basically what you get when the switch is off, it might be a good place to start. Especially now with the erratic clicking of the relay. It sure seems to point in the direction of that connection. We'll hope it's not the switch itself or the ECU.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.