Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just purchased the bike as fixer upper, all the electrics work but pushing the start button does nothing. Where should I start looking first? Will bad gauge cluster affect starting? starting solenoid is not clicking, I jumped it out but doesn't seem to any spark to plugs, fuel pump is working..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when you say the button does nothing, does the engine turn over? be more specific about what is happening.
when I push the button nothing happens at all, nothing like the sound of a relay pulling in or starter solenoid making contact. key is on rocker switch is in run position.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is the neutral light on? stand down? check the clutch micro switch
neutral light is on, stand is down and the clutch does not have a micro switch on it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
did you have the controls and handlebars apart? check to see if you are getting voltage at the starter when you push the button with a voltmeter

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did you have the controls and handlebars apart? check to see if you are getting voltage at the starter when you push the button with a voltmeter
no I have not taken anything apart, installed new battery thats all. it has 12v to starter solenoid but it's not getting the signal to close and send 12v to starter.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
starter could be shot, could be rusty or corroded where the starter grounds.
I jumped out the solenoid and the engine turned over but not even close to sounding like it was trying to start

·
Registered
73 Posts
well it could be all kinds of stuff honestly, mis-timed/broken belt, no compression, bent valves, spark system could be jacked up, carbs could be dirty/not synced etc. Start from square one and go from there. You need spark and fuel, get those then go from there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well it could be all kinds of stuff honestly, mis-timed/broken belt, no compression, bent valves, spark system could be jacked up, carbs could be dirty/not synced etc. Start from square one and go from there. You need spark and fuel, get those then go from there.
thanks for your help, I gotta figure out why the starter button is not working first, the belts and engine are good. its something electrical

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had this same issue with my 2001 m750....the "safety relay" was bad. On the 2001 M750 its the small black relay under the seat next to the fuse box.....the light yellow(or tan) is the main relay. I replaced the small black(safety relay) and fixed my problems....starts fine now.

Your m750 is different(carb vs injected).....and not sure if it has the relay....but the problems you are describing are exactly the same. I would source down the relays and check them. Replacement cost of the small black relay was $10.....and the main relay was $17. Inexpensive parts.......but cause a big pain in the arse when they go bad.

Greg

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for reply ohiocaferacer, I found 2 replays under seat, 1 killed lights wasn't sure what other was for but I swapped replays and both work.
I did some old thread searching and found some good info. I know my button is working I pulled plug apart located 2 pins with dvm and toggled continuity with button. I also found a two pin plug on left side tie wrapped to frame that went to something. No clue on a clutch micro switch or kickstand switch. Also found something about a immoble antenna.

·
Registered
73 Posts
did you check ALL fuses? not sure of a 2 pin plug, but the kickstand safety switch is a 3 or 4 pin i cant remember. The simplest way to check if everything is working properly is measure the voltage at the starter with a voltmeter.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
did you check ALL fuses? not sure of a 2 pin plug, but the kickstand safety switch is a 3 or 4 pin i cant remember. The simplest way to check if everything is working properly is measure the voltage at the starter with a voltmeter.
I checked all fuses, the key fuse was blown and replaced. I will take a pic of plug this eve and post. Voltage is not getting to starter cause starter solenoid is not getting signal voltage to close and supply voltage to starter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
'02 750ie's are Fuel Injected, Immobilizer bikes...
A. Side Stand has a cutoff, make sure it's up.
B. Turn Key, Guages Sweep, Immobilizer (yellow light) Blinks, then turns off. Press Start... If the yellow light stays on your issues are deeper... The Immobilzer is active, which could be a few different issues. You mentioned the cluster earlier, was there any damage to the cluster, or did you replace it?

I should also add to make sure the new battery is fully charged, when I changed batteries on my '02 it acted really weird until I put the battery on a tender overnight. If I recall correctly I also needed to reprogram my keys that time too... Did you get a red key when you bought the bike?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
'02 750ie's are Fuel Injected, Immobilizer bikes...
A. Side Stand has a cutoff, make sure it's up.
B. Turn Key, Guages Sweep, Immobilizer (yellow light) Blinks, then turns off. Press Start... If the yellow light stays on your issues are deeper... The Immobilzer is active, which could be a few different issues. You mentioned the cluster earlier, was there any damage to the cluster, or did you replace it?

I should also add to make sure the new battery is fully charged, when I changed batteries on my '02 it acted really weird until I put the battery on a tender overnight. If I recall correctly I also needed to reprogram my keys that time too... Did you get a red key when you bought the bike?
the yellow light stays on, yes the cluster is damaged, the spd O glass is broken and I'm sure it got rained in at some point. I pulled the cluster this eve and it has something rolling around inside. I am searching for new cluster. The bike does not have a side stand switch at all, I took a pic of what I think is the plug for it. I did not get a red key.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well now... Those would be the issues. Yes, that's the plug for the side stand switch. You can pick one up, you can buy a bypass kit, or you can bypass it yourself.

As far as the cluster... Yes you can pick up a new one, but without a red key your kind of hosed... sort of. The cluster, ecu, and keys are a married system. Technically speaking if one part (cluster) is bad, and you don't have a red key you need to replace the whole system. There is however a work around... You can send in your ecu to a few different places, (I believe Desmoporsche and ducatidepot offer that service) and have them reflash your ecu and remove the immobilizer. This is usually in the $200-$400 range I believe.

If I were you, I'd pick up a used cluster and send the ecu in. It's usually a lot cheaper than replacing your gauge cluster, ecu, and lockset...

I think any cluster from '02-'05 will work... But I would double check that or play it safe and get an '02 cluster.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well now... Those would be the issues. Yes, that's the plug for the side stand switch. You can pick one up, you can buy a bypass kit, or you can bypass it yourself.

As far as the cluster... Yes you can pick up a new one, but without a red key your kind of hosed... sort of. The cluster, ecu, and keys are a married system. Technically speaking if one part (cluster) is bad, and you don't have a red key you need to replace the whole system. There is however a work around... You can send in your ecu to a few different places, (I believe Desmoporsche and ducatidepot offer that service) and have them reflash your ecu and remove the immobilizer. This is usually in the $200-$400 range I believe.

If I were you, I'd pick up a used cluster and send the ecu in. It's usually a lot cheaper than replacing your gauge cluster, ecu, and lockset...

I think any cluster from '02-'05 will work... But I would double check that or play it safe and get an '02 cluster.
thanks Mtkli you saved me alot of headaches lol..

·
Registered
6 Posts
No sweat... I went down the exact same road when I got my '02 750ie. If you have any questions, feel free to post or PM. There are a lot of oddities to the '02, it's sort of a bastard bike. Unfortunately I think Ive found them all the hard way.

It probably wouldn't hurt to see if the previous owner has the red key??? The other benefit to the ecu flash is that you can get a "performance" flash if you have cans or pod filters, it makes a big difference.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts