Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 M620 is either leaking oil and/or burning oil. I've noticed oil accumulating near the base of the vertical cylinder head. Maybe the gasket is leaking??? I also had to add a 1.25 quarts of oil since the last oil change ~1000 miles ago. Is the lost of oil due to leakage or is the engine burning oil. I've noticed my tail pipes have a black soot on the end of the pipes. My friends 03 620 does not have this problem. My bike is stock with ~2200 miles. Can anyone offer any insight? Should I have it looked by the dealer, its still under warrenty. If so, any shop recommendations in the Bay Area. I dont trust the dealer here in Sacramento.

TIA!!!
Don

S

·
0 Posts
go to desmoto sport in San Fran. they have been better than any dealer or go to nichols. only shops I will trust

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Don, for a simple check, try changing brands of oil. It won't do anything for the leak, but on my '03 620 changing oils did make a difference in oil consumption. I was using Valvoline 20W-50 v-twin oil and was going through about 1 qt every 1500 miles. Changed to MOTUL 15W-50 and dropped to about 1/2 qt every 2000 - 2500 miles. It's worth a shot.

B

·
0 Posts
1st Post here :)
I have noticed the same thing. I bought a 2001 M750 w/ 2500 miles about a month ago. I have a slight leak at the rear cylinder base gasket. Is this a common problem with the 2valve ducs?

·
Premium Member
862 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

Looking at the pics from the earlier thread, my bike is definitely leaking at the gasket on the vertical cylinder. I just called Ducati of Marin and they confirmed its common for 02's to leak at that gasket. My bike is still covered under warrenty so they are going to repair it this Saturday. They are ordering the parts and should arrive Friday. Should take a full day to repair, have to drop the whole engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts