Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this seems pretty unique. I tried searching, and had my dad over who knows a lot about bikes (and owns a couple Ducati's).

Here is what is happening:

- Turn key on (lights, fuel priming, etc all work fine)
- Press starter switch
- It will 'turn over,' trying to start when I press the starter switch, but will never ignite
- After 15ish seconds, the starter switch will do nothing
- WEIRD PART:
- If I WAS NOT pressing the switch at 15ish seconds, it just won't do anything afterwards when pressing it again
- If I WAS holding it in at the 15ish second mark, it will CONTINUE to turn over until I turn the key off... (I have repeated this test, both with starter pressed and not, while counting seconds)

Other notes:
- No sparks going to either spark plug
- Relays recently changed out, due to previous (and seemingly different) starting issue

Any ideas? It obviously won't start, and will stop trying to start after 15 seconds. I'm calling a couple dealer mechanics tomorrow to get advice, but wondering if anyone can help!

·
Registered
168 Posts
that sounds about right. you only get x amount of time to start the bike after turning on the ignition or the starting feature cuts out and you have to turn key off and on again.

I also wouldn't be keeping the starter engaged for more than a few seconds, you are going to burn out the starter very quickly that way. there's no need to do that if you know you aren't getting spark to begin with.

sounds like that isn't your problem though and the fact you aren't getting spark at all from either spark box is very strange. aside from replacing both spark boxes and making sure your plugs are clean and checking the wires, I'm not sure what else you can do.

edit: check the connections to the spark boxes as well and make sure they are clean and secure. I have heard of them wiggling off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
wonder if we have a similar problem, i posted earlier about a problem with starting my mh. if ur not getting spark, u may not be getting a signal from the ecu to the injectors as well. no sense trying to start until ur ignition and fuel signals from the ecu r working properly. have u checked ur crank sensor. please keep us posted on what u find, ur remedy may help out my problem

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a very similar issue with an identical bike '02 620ie. I bought the bike not running with ignition problems. Turns out the primary issue was corrosion on both of the coils where the wires bring power in, I took off the coils and leads, sanded them off to clear bare metal, then did same with the connector ends of the wires, reattached and bike fired right up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ignition problem

i still have the intermittent pulse at my fuel injectors tho, thats why i think its the crank sensor. the dealer told me it could also be the timing is off because the flywheel have been known to loosen up, isnt that pleasant to know

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It ended up being corrosion on some sensors, and that was it. Took it apart, cleaned connections, and it ran when it was put back together...

Unfortunate, but at least didn't require any parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am having the exact same problem right now, can you give some specifics? What sensors did you clean?
We checked the 2 relays under the tank (left side) and all the fuses (right side) but they all looked fine.

Ended up having to take it to the shop, so not sure exactly on which sensors they looked at. Sorry I can't help more!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Would you mind telling me the contact info. for your mechanic? I only ask because the problem you had is exactly like my problem right down to the starter 'timing out'.

Thanks,
Trent

1 - 9 of 9 Posts