Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I buying a 2002 620 dark that is missing the red key. The bike starts and runs fine. When do you need the red key? What can you do if it goes into the security mode? I know how bad DNA can be but there has to be a way to get a replacement red key or code one in.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
The red key on any of the immobilizer bikes in required. You cannot reprogram the ECU or Immobizer system with out it. What this means is that if you have to have an ECU or gauges changed you will be hosed as the dealer will not be able to reprogram the Immbilizer. You cannot get a new red key from Ducati unless you have the Code Card that should come with the bike. This card has 2 #s on it. A mechanical key code and the electronic key code. If you have this card you can order a new Red key from Ducati.

I went through this very same thing when I bought my 620 except mine had no keys at all. The dealer wanted 2500 for all the requierd components to make the bike run. I solved it by buying the FIM ECU and Viola no more need for any coded keys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is an FIM cpu and where do I get one. That sounds like the best solution to my problem. This red key crap sounds a like DNA f*cken with all of us. They have the codes in there files and can check if we are the ligit owners of the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Ducman851 is 100% correct. I passed on a smokin deal on a salvage bike last year for that very same reason. And the $2500 is a deal, less than retail.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if you go for FIM the imobilizer (which in many conditions is a good thing) stops working ?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Heres the copy from the FIM site.

We are happy to announce the release of the UltiMap U59 Engine Management ECU, for late model Ducatis which use the Weber 5.9M ECU. These models include:
2001 Models; Monster S4, ST4S, 996R
2002 Models; Monster S4, ST4S, Monster 620, Monster 900, 998, 998S, 998R
2003 Models; Monster S4, ST4S, Monster 620, Monster 800, Monster 1000DS, 620S, 800SS, 1000DS
This version of the U59 is not compatible with 999 and 749 models but we are developing a version for these models. The U59 ECU has the following features:
Plug-in equivalent of Weber IAW 59M ECU.
Disables the Immobiliser function for all models. You can use the U59 on a race or track bike without the ignition key, immobiliser aerial, and immobiliser unit.
Supplied pre-mapped for most applications - slipon mufflers, revised cam timing, etc.
Fully mappable for Fuel Map, Rear cylinder Correction Map, Spark Map, and Rev Limiter using a new version of our Mapper program (available to dealers)
Can be operated in Road Mode (all side-stand cutouts, starter button, clutch switch etc. functional) or Track Mode (Kill Switch only) so you don't need to wreck your wiring harness to go to the track.
Each cutout function can also be individually set if you wish.
The Dashboard Water Lamp or ECU check lamp can be used as a Programmable Shift Light in addition to the warning function.(Some models only)
Can be diagnosed using the Ducati Mathesis Tester or our UltiMap Diagnostics Software.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That ROCKS. I wish I knew this last week when a 800SS with key issues sold real cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
about $650-700. You can call Manley Cycle in Minnesota or BCM in New Hampshire a call they are both FIM dealers who are very familiar with the products.

None of this can be changed by the consumer though, unless you want to buy the Mapping software.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whats the site? I have a M800 03 with the same problem..no red key. Anyone have the address? And also...can someone go in further detail about the remap? Do you mean that this CPU cannot be remapped by the dealer?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
OK the deal is the stock 5.9 cannot be remapped. It can however have the fuel trim adjusted.

On the key issue, if you have the code card that came with the bike then you can order a new Red key from Ducati, but without the code card and Red key you are basically screwed.

Here the FIM site. If you have any questions about the unit itself, drop Duane an Email. He is always willing to talk up hes products.

http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heres a curly question then...

A mate who is wrecking his 02 Monster 620ie has offered me the set of locks (seat, tank and ignition), with the red + two black keys, and the ECU.

No dash (so no paired immobilizer)

Anyway got any ideas if the set of gear would code into a previously coded immobilizer (I'm not 100% sure if my immobilizer was coded yet - just picking it up from an aution today)

I know if I buy a fresh - new dash , I can code the red key into it, but I'm not sure if all that nicely paired stuff will work with an already coded immobilizer.

Any thoughts?

JasonBW

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Without the gauges on the 620 the ECU is worthless. The gauges on the 620 ARE part of the immobilizer system and they cannot be reprogrammed to a new key. Its a one time deal with the 620. Now if this was an S4 its a whole differant system.

So in a nutshell youd still need a new set of gauges.

·
Registered
211 Posts
It's too bad Ducati can't keep a record of what immoblizer (and the code that went with them) went on which bike on record with the serial numbers and other mfg. info at Ducati. If someone contacted them and gave them the bike's info it would be much better and quicker than relying on the consumer to not lose keys/cards that come with the bike. A correct red key could be sent quickly this way saving the consumer a LOT of money. My red key disappeared a while ago and I've been looking for it but am not sure it will turn up. Until then I am hoping I don't have any troubles... I guess their solution is for the consumer to spend the 2500 on a whole new system... Too bad.
John K

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Well if you have the Code Card tha came with all the immobilizer bikes you can get a new RED key by just ordering one.

·
Registered
142 Posts
ducman851 said:
Well if you have the Code Card tha came with all the immobilizer bikes you can get a new RED key by just ordering one.
Not from what Oceanside Ducati tells me. The turn signal flasher is dead and it's in the dash. They'll replace it for free, but without the red key, it won't work. I have the card with the codes, but I've been assured that I now need to buy a new ignition and ECU to go with the new dash. Total price $500.
Sounds like crap, but I've asked around. If you know different, please share.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I shall make a call to someone I know. Bear with me he doesnt answer on the weekends

1 - 20 of 25 Posts