Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a clean and straight rear swingarm assembly for an 01 injected 900 Monster. Measured a friends swingarm today after he dropped it coming to a light and he actually pushed the right side of the swingarm up about a 1/4" when he fell off so I told him I would hunt for one to change it out. Am in So Ca.

thanks

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
No offense but how did you measure it? I find it hard to believe that it just bent by droping it at a light.

Give Dave or Charles at Cjassis Dynamics. $100 and they can tell you if it truely is damaged. This is where I take all my stuff for frame repairs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hauled the monster up to Fontana today and had Dave Moss go over the bike with me. He's a pretty good suspension tuner and has setup a couple of my bikes for the track. We put the front end in a wheel chock and measured from the bottom of the rear adjuster nuts to the ground and found out it was indeed higher on the right side than it was on the left. Then we measured from the bottom rear end of each side of the swingarm and came up with the same number. That said, it means the fall he took must have moved the swingarm. I am by no means a guy who knows all there is to know about monsters. I will say this though, the boxed aluminum swingarm on a 01 monster is by no means even comparable to the swingarm on my Mille R and I would bet if you were to ride these bikes hard the rear swingarm could flex on you due to the way they are fabricated. So it is plausible that his fall could have bent his swingarm up on the side he fell on.

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
I have a stock swingarm powdercoated black from a 2001 M900. It has PitBull spools welded already and the little rear fender on the bottom.

I can take a pic of it today, and post up later.

It will most likely cost about $20- 30 to ship.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Rico said:
Are Chassis Dynamics located in San Diego?
El Segundo.

Theres nothing wrong with Dave, hes a great guy. Sucks what happened to his trailer, but I did the same thing to a Monster I am rebuilding and found it to be straight. I took it in the Dave at Chassis Dynamics and after they measured it with their laser rig, we found that the steering head was about cambered. Meaning the steering head was tilted to the right causing about .300" of misalighnment in the front wheel with the rear.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Rico said:
do the 02 aluminum swingarms fit an 01?

replace the steel with an aluminum?
No,
2001 is the last year that Ducati used the "hoop style" rear swingarm (except for the 2001 S4). The 2002 and newer dual sided swingarms from the Monsters will not work.

You can use any swingarm from a 2001 or older Monster (except for the 2001 S4) and also 851/888's but they have the fender mount differently.

Doesn't matter if it's steel or aluminum or from what size Monster. And for the record, the Aluminum swing arms are 9.5lbs and the steel ones are 11 lbs. And it's purely a bling thing as you will NOT notice that difference.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts