Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can I do to get an adjustable rear shock? I have the dampin screw but no individual adjustments for rebound and compression. Also, the spring rate is supersoft. Im on a budget, so 500 buck ohlins stuff is out fo the question if they even make it for these.

Thank you, Paul

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
You could get a shock from a Monster 900S, those have adjustable compression and rebound damping, as well as preload.

I *think* a shock from an 851 will fit, but I'm not sure what adjustment those offered.

You may get lucky and find a used Ohlins on E-Bay.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you have the bow linkage type (as apposed to the straight rod) the earlier 900 ss or 750 shocks will be the proper length. neither is any different than the one you have unless yours does not have a shraeder vale. the ones with the schaeder valve are rebuildable.
your shock is rebound adjustable with the brass screw at the base. you also have preload you can play with.
the sachs/boge shocks tend to be over dampened on rebound anyway so just change the spring to the proper rate for you weight and then set sag. If the shock is leaking change it, if it bounces like a pogo stick with the rebound turned fully clockwise it needs at least a freshening.

the 900s shock was an ohlins if it was adjustable. the length and stroke of the 851 is the same as the monster. it is a reote resevoir so you will have to route and mount the resevoir.
cheers

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had the same issue but did not want to spend tons of money. I got the fork spring and rear spring kit from hyperpro to match my riding weight.

It went in very easy (at least the rear did) and then I followed the setup instruction to getthe right preload. Big difference!!!! The only drawback is hyperpro spring is purple. I rattlecanned it red before install [thumbsup]

Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts