Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the topic says, my 2000 Monster 900Sie won't start. The bike was modded before I bought it to start with the side stand down, but up *or* down, it makes no difference. When I turn the key all the gauge lights and headlight come on, but the headlight doesn't dim when I hit the starter button. Tried it with the hi-beam on, nada. I diddled with the kill switch, wiggled the starter button cable, undid and redid all the harness connections I could find, but still no go.

I did a search and found some useful info (specifically regarding the starter solenoid, the relay, and the associated fuses), but since Isabel is currently bearing down on Charlottesville, I haven't had a chance to go out and check the starter electrics. I did check all the fuses under the seat and they're all fine. I haven't yet checked the starter relay fuse (next to the battery--I didn't even realize there was one until I read the shop manual), but I have no idea how common a problem this might be.

So basically I'm wondering if y'all have any suggestions regarding potential problems to check out after the storm blows through, most likely on Saturday. All comments will be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Griff

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
My money is on the starter solenoid. I had the same symptoms and it turned out to be the solenoid (2001 M750d).

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Giffy, sounds like you're well on your way to diagnosing the problem. you just need to find where the voltage stops. first i would check if the solenoid is being energized (is there battery voltage at the soleniod and then work my way back (sidestand switch, main relay, kill switch, ignition switch, wiring).

G

·
Got any thing else......

Has it ever cut out on you before while riding or just wont start?

Have you tried moving the the handle bars around(moving the wires) while holding the starter button?(broken wires have been a issue for me around the head tube)

Does the fuel pump come on as you turn the key to on?
(whole system down or just the starter)

Good luck....Electrical problems :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions. I'm pretty much going at it as Howie said--work backward from the solenoid and see what gives. I'm just praying it's not the starter itself. But we're due for a Friday full of rain and wind, so I don't know how soon I can get back out to work on it.

Silas, no, the bike never cut out on me before, always started like a champ. I just went out the other morning and there was nothing when I pushed the starter button. The whole system does indeed energize when I turn the key on (gauge lights on, headlight on, hum of the fuel pump), just no starty. And yes, I did wiggle every freakin' wire on the bike, handle-bar attached or not.

I'll keep y'all posted as I work my way through this annoyance.

--Griff

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: I went out yesterday morning ready to dive into the starter electrics, and wouldn't you know it, the Duc fired right up. Cut it off and restarted it 3 more times just to make sure, then took it out for a 120-mile spin through storm-ravaged Albemarle County. Ran like a champ all day. Go figure.

I dunno, musta been some weird kind of Italian poltergeist. I'll probably just have the solenoid/relay replaced anyway when I take it in for its 6000-mile tune up.

Thanks again for all the help,
Griff

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Griffy,

I may have a lead on your intermittant start issue...I had a similar problem with my 2000 M900S. Find the connector attached to the inside of the right hand headlight bracket. (Just in front of your throttle) Trace the wires leading down towards the frame, you will notice they route between your front brake line and the headlight assembly bracket to which they are zip tied. All the wires in this bundle were pinched on my bike and concequently severed inside the black outer housing...sounds like the same type of issue silas had. I did the jiggle thing also to no avail, but believe because they were zip tied, I was unable to move it enough to recreate the issue.

I was having the same start symptoms as well as the fuel pump shutting on and off as I turned the bars, plus a kill switch that had no effect on the bike. (of course they never happened while at the dealer) Once I finally removed the zip tie and cut open the housing did I realize thats all that was holding the wires in contact. I repaired the wires and re-routed them to the outside of the brake line. Never seen the issue again. I can only assume there was some sort of short occuring that freaked the system.

Maybe worth a look.
Glad shes running again though!
Good luck
jinx

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the heads-up, Jinx. I'll definitely check it out.

--Griff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts